MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Mess Kit question

Article about: Hey, Did WW2 soldiers put tape on there mess kits and write there names in pencil on the tape, because a couple of years ago I bought a US WW2 mess kit for US \\$12 and it had tape under the a

Default Mess Kit question

Hey,

Did WW2 soldiers put tape on there mess kits and write there names in pencil on the tape, because a couple of years ago I bought a US WW2 mess kit for US $12 and it had tape under the arm with a name written in pencil on old tape, not thinking I removed the tape. Was that a smart move? I used it for Boy Scouts for a few years, its dated 1944.

Thanks,
    Michael

Default Re: Mess Kit question

Possible I suppose? But not too practical when it came to hygene and washing it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Do you think it will decrease the value?

Thanks,
    Michael

I don't think it harms the value at all. Nothing to worry about.
    Enjoy it for what it is and IMO, it's good that you have
    used it for camping - a nice piece of kit.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Mess tins are not that valuable to begin with ...I have this real bad problem ..some would say on the verge of a mental hospital..but i collect mess tins..up to about 20 them now ..they are really cool ..the way they washed them in the field I don't think tape would have held on for very long ..But welcome to the mess tin club!!

Thanks everyone,

I was VERY worried I severely decreased the value, the tape seemed as though it was gonna fall off anyway, so I took it off. It didn't make much sense to me as you guys said. Why would somebody put tape on something that will be washed anyway? I think it was put there after war but I don't know, I guess it doesn't really matter since it doesn't effect the value,

Thanks,
    Michael

Quote by Snake Master View Post
    Thanks everyone,

I was VERY worried I severely decreased the value, the tape seemed as though it was gonna fall off anyway, so I took it off. It didn't make much sense to me as you guys said. Why would somebody put tape on something that will be washed anyway? I think it was put there after war but I don't know, I guess it doesn't really matter since it doesn't effect the value,

Thanks,
    Michael
    Nope you are good ...The most I have ever seen a mess tin go for is like $20 unless its a trench art decorated one..even then they go for only about $50 .. I have paid anywhere from FREE to $25 for mine

Would you have recommended taking it off even if I had kept it on?
    Also I have a helmet with the same type of masking tape on the outside of the liner, should I take that off too?

Thanks,
    Michael

it would have most likely fallen off anyway ...leaving it on or taking it off doesn't affect the value any ..so i wouldn't sweat it too much