Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?

Article about: Hello, Annoyed from this ads?   After doing a search I still don’t have the the answers I’m looking for so, I’m hoping someone can help me out with lots of gas mask questions. I've seen

?

Default Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?

Hello,

After doing a search I still don’t have the the answers I’m looking for so, I’m hoping someone can help me out with lots of gas mask questions.

I've seen the sticky and this link
    GAS but am none the wiser.

I can find no markings whatsoever on the mask, but the base of the filter is stamped No. 4A, B. W. & M Ltd. and is dated 1940. There’s an ink stamp on the front, it could possibly read 26 March 1941 and at the top it’s stamped Barringer, Wallis & Manners Ltd. Mansfield.

The bag is stamped Siebe, Gormen & Co. Ltd. Makers, London (still in business today) and has what looks like the word LARGE stamped at the bottom right. C.C.M. is written in the middle of the bag, perhaps the original owner’s initials.

The anti-dimming MKV container hasn’t been used however, the foil seals have been broken.

1. From searching online and also because the base of the filter is marked No. 4A, I believe the mask pictured is a MKIV, am I correct?

2. Is the bag a MKV?

3. Is the mask for military or home front use?

4. Did ARP/AFS etc. have different masks than the military?

5. What is that piece of string for and where should the loose end be attached?

Thanks for any help

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?   Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?  

Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?   Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?  

Hi Tony, you are correct its a Mk 4. The mark V has a black rubber face peice togeather with a microphone mount on the left check. Yours has a nice early filter not so often seen, they went over to the red type in 1941. Your mask is of later manufacture than mine (though the filter is earlier) and differs in having removable eye pieces for decontamination. This type of mask was used by the armed forces as general issue but was also used on the home front by some priority emergency services whom it was thought might have to spend long periods of time exposed to gas. This included police and firemen. Most other homefront workers, including, surprisingly, ARP wardens, were issued the civillian duty respirator which had a smaller capacity filter. Your type of mask could be carried at the side, or on the chest, in the 'alert' position. The string is to tie the back strap to a wait belt at the wearers back in order to support it high on the chest. The situation with bags is rather complex (that means I cant remember excatly which type is which!) but I honestly wouldnt worry, its a wartime type bag and could well have been used with this mask. The type is decided I beleive, by wether it has the two back pockets for the eye shields and wether they are outside or underneath the flap. I think the pockets were introduced in 1939. Does your bag have a single top flap and or back pockets? Also how many drainage vents does it have at the bottom? I suspect a mark V bag has two, and a MkVI, three. Also, is there a date on the alluminium eye pieces of your mask?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?   Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?  

Last edited by douglas2496; 01-07-2015 at 10:23 PM.

I thought you might be interested to read what 'Personal Protection Against Gas' (HMSO 1938) has to say about the MK4 Gas Mask. It particularly well shows the method of wear.

Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?   Is this a MKIV or MKV gas mask or something else?  

Last edited by douglas2496; 01-07-2015 at 11:03 PM.

?

Douglas,

Thanks very much indeed for your replies. I have a MKII police helmet dated 1938 so this mask will go well with it. It's great to hear the filter has a harder to find colour too.

As for the bag, it has two back pockets under the flap and two drainage vents.

The mask must have been issued if the bag is original to it but it's in such good unused condition still, I'm very happy with it and it's something I'll probably keep for a long time, I've owned it for about 10 years already.

Tony

Great respirator tony,in top condition too,doug you own the first mk1v type from 1927 onwards with the thread and nut jutting out the exhale value,how cool is that,never hardly see this type anywhere,great thread and pics too,also i thought mk1v respirators were only army issued not homefront?learn something new everyday............

?

Thanks Jake, I aim to please

So if I get another I'll make sure it has the nut jutting out like Doug's one.

Tony