Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Modified rucksack/kitbag

Article about: Guys, any idea on this rucksack ? Like most items it has a story which I don't know what to make of. The grandfather of the man i bought it from was issued with it when he was in Bomber comm

Default Modified rucksack/kitbag

Guys,
    any idea on this rucksack ? Like most items it has a story which I don't know what to make of.
    The grandfather of the man i bought it from was issued with it when he was in Bomber command in lieu of a kitbag. There is some faded writing which says ' In place of kitbag' written in pen on the cover and underneath it looks to have the remains of a service number but I cannot make it out. It belonged to a Cyril Bowden.

Now, to me the rucksack looks more German in origin but has clearly been modified with additional straps. It looks to of had a white cloth label which has lost any markings.The added straps are British style but made in Aluminium and were once painted and look a bit rough like Indian made gear. These could of been added at any time obviously but look to be quite specific with the crossed straps under the lid. Internally it has a central back/front divider with 2 smaller pockets and then 2 larger pockets either side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Modified rucksack/kitbag   Modified rucksack/kitbag  

Modified rucksack/kitbag   Modified rucksack/kitbag  

I think I may be the owner of an Italian M1934 Alpini Backpack. The straps would all be original to the pack.

No.1 in the link zaino