Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

My MK1 Marching compass

Article about: Hi all its been a while since I posted anything of mine so here is my MK1 Marching compass I picked it up at a Armed forces day last year for £30. Annoyed from this ads?  

Default My MK1 Marching compass

Hi all its been a while since I posted anything of mine so here is my MK1 Marching compass I picked it up at a Armed forces day last year for £30.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My MK1 Marching compass   My MK1 Marching compass  

My MK1 Marching compass   My MK1 Marching compass  

My MK1 Marching compass  

Nice it still has the box with it

Cheers it is also in very good condition although a bit of the glass has cracked but you cant see that in the pics due to the light.

anyone else? And does anyone know if all of theses are ww2 manufacture or some ww2 and some post war?

Hi, i believe these were a WW2 economy compass manufactured by T.G.CO Ltd, (The Gramophone Company Limited), they were either stamped T.G.Co Ltd or The Gramophone Company, the latter being more scares. It is thought the company was a pseudonym for Francis Baker & Sons, who did not want there name associated with inferior wartime quality products. They were also used in the RAF survival kit for the type K dinghy.

Cheers

Harry

?

The economy marching compass MkI was first issued in 1944 with the manufacturer's name wrtten in full, later it was abbreviated to TG Co LTD as on the example shown.

The serial number starts with a B if I see it right. That would mean, that the compass was produced by Baker & Sons even if marked as T.G.CO.