Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery 37 pattern webbing item

Article about: Ok .. another one of the infamous "what it is used for" pieces of 37 pattern webbing. The item is 25 inches long, has four retainer hoops, (The fourth at the base having a sealing

?

Question Mystery 37 pattern webbing item

Ok .. another one of the infamous "what it is used for" pieces of 37 pattern webbing.

The item is 25 inches long, has four retainer hoops, (The fourth at the base having a sealing tab across it).
    Three buckled hoops to the rear, one at the top and the other two which buckle in opposing directions are twelve inches apart.
    No marker marks.

Anybody seen these before ??

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery 37 pattern webbing item   Mystery 37 pattern webbing item  

OKW
    ?

Default Re: Mystery 37 pattern webbing item

Radio aerial sections when broken down. Would a spare bren barrel fit? 37 webbing was the most complex uncomfortable kit devised by man especially when worn with BD.

?

Aerial section had been a possibility ! .. maybe a ws38 ?

The thing past that is where did it attach to with the three loops ? .. maybe external to a vehicle ?
    (They run out to an approx. 3 inch circle).

OKW
    ?

I was thinking vehicle, side of tank or frame of a lorry rear cover. Bearing in mind i still had 37 webbing issued for training in the 70's this stuff could have been made or adapted for any purpose for the best part of 40 years. This is what we need to talk to veterans for, they used it everyday and didn't think anything of it and now we struggle to identify the mundane.

I hope this helps, It's for a mine probe, I couldn't find the spare one i've got, but they were introduced about 1944 and were being used well into the 80's.
    Pete.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery 37 pattern webbing item  

?

Quote by phoenix View Post
    I hope this helps, It's for a mine probe, I couldn't find the spare one i've got, but they were introduced about 1944 and were being used well into the 80's.
    Pete.
    I remember using these when I was in the TA RE in 1989/90 when we were training for deployment on Gulf 1.

I have 4 of them in PLCE pattern OD the handles are a plastic composite with an aluminum tube body and titanium probe, the carrier is a sheath. Can't post a pic though no camera anymore. I'll try to borrow one.