Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916

Article about: When I first saw it, I immidiately thought level. But to add another guess, I'm going to say it is a replacement needle for a compass, or possibly as Dave has suggested some type of calibrat

Default Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916

I've had this item quite some time now and it's proving a bit of a mystery.
    Made by L Kamm & Co London in 1916 who were a notable maker of compasses, though this does not appear to be a compass?
    It has a needle pionter and does not appear to be magnetic, although someone did suggest it may be a water divider?? With that in mind, all suggestions are welcome, regardless of how obscure Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916
    Last edited by Weissen; 02-25-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: New to this system..

Default Re: Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916

If I had to guess, and that is just what I'm doing I'd say it was a level.
    If that one was for a particular application :shrug:

?

Default Re: Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916

I would take a guess and say its a calibration tool for compasses, it has very narrow field of degrees which could deal with magnetic variations

Guesses are fine, believe me, this has baffled a few well seasoned militaria collectors..

Someone is going to know what it is and it will all be perfectly clear.. I hope!

It does'nt respond to magnetic N, although L Kamm & Co were I think mainly compass makers, this does'nt seem to point anywhere with any continuity ? I'm fairly sure it was field gear though, with the War Dept arrows on it.

?

Wild guess this one from me, for a change.
    Maybe something to do with direction maintenance whilst tunnelling??

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

"suggestions are welcome, regardless of how obscure " could it be a butt scratcher? only joking. I think the guess about it being a level sounds pretty good.

nma.. LOL, if all else fails, the butt scratcher option sounds a good..
    On the level thing though, the most employed level at that time would've been the clinometer, which had two spirit devices on it.. I did have one, but the offer was good so I had to part with it.
    If you've never seen one before, look one up in a search, they're an incredible device still used today mainly for surveying, but much less for aiming a Howitzer.

Believe me Ian, if anyone had to rely on this for tunnelling, they'd be so far under friendly lines that when someone pushed the plunger the "opposition" would all be drinking a toast and roasting knockwurst off the flames for a week ;-)
    To say it's got a mind of it's own when it comes to direction would be an understatement..

BIG stretch here but just trying to eliminate some things. Would it have anything to do with weather and/or forecasting, humidity?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast