Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916

Article about: When I first saw it, I immidiately thought level. But to add another guess, I'm going to say it is a replacement needle for a compass, or possibly as Dave has suggested some type of calibrat

?

Default Re: Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916

When I first saw it, I immidiately thought level. But to add another guess, I'm going to say it is a replacement needle for a compass, or possibly as Dave has suggested some type of calibration tool for the needle. The needle and the center piece that holds the needle look very similar to those found on compasses. There's nothing in the photo to judge its size, but it looks to be on the larger size (5 inches?). Could be a needle for a larger naval compass?

That, or a butt scratcher...Did you give it a smell to rule out the butt scratcher theory?

Default Re: Mystery device, what was it's purpose, what was it used for. L Kamm & Co 1916

Quote by Weissen View Post
    I've had this item quite some time now and it's proving a bit of a mystery.
    Made by L Kamm & Co London in 1916 who were a notable maker of compasses, though this does not appear to be a compass?
    It has a needle pionter and does not appear to be magnetic, although someone did suggest it may be a water divider?? With that in mind, all suggestions are welcome, regardless of how obscure
    I think this thread may be dead and buried by now, but I know exactly what this is, so just for the record...

This is a trough compass, used in surveying, usually with a plane table (and often with an Indian Clinometer, as i mentioned in an earlier post - Any idea what this is ?). It's basically just a magnetic compass, used to line up the plane table. Military applications would include artillery survey and the like.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm so glad someone has made sense of this item.. I had this odd thought that it may have been some sort of seismic detection meter, for.. when the shelling was getting too close the Field Marshalls would give the order to "run away" ;-)
    No such luck!!

Quote by Weissen View Post
    Thanks Rob, I'm so glad someone has made sense of this item.. I had this odd thought that it may have been some sort of seismic detection meter, for.. when the shelling was getting too close the Field Marshalls would give the order to "run away" ;-)
    No such luck!!
    No problem. I think running away would be "casting away your arms in the face of the enemy", wouldn't it? You could get shot for that...

Just to be a complete geek here, according to the Priced Vocabulary of Stores 1915, the actual military stores name for the item is:

Compass, Magnetic, Plane Table, Mark II - trough, compass, metal box, 6-in x 1-in x 5/8-in, in wood case.

The cost to the Army of this item was 10s 7d, or about 53p in modern British currency.

Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2