Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Named Equipment

Article about: Hello, I have a quick question, does having a name on uniforms or equipment increase the value of it? Thanks, Michael

Default Named Equipment

Hello,

I have a quick question, does having a name on uniforms or equipment increase the value of it?

Thanks,
    Michael

Default Re: Named Equipment

Yes, it could increase the value... but in most cases, not much if any at all...

In terms of U.S. gear, most named pieces will have just a name, and it'll be hard to determine what unit that soldier served in or where he served. Sometimes there will be a serial number written on a piece of equipment and that'll help in finding out a little more about the soldier.... what type of education he had, what he did for work before the war.

If you find a serial number, you can punch it in here to find out more about the soldier:
    archives

If the piece of equipment is named and you can be certain that it came from a FAMOUS unit or FAMOUS battle, that will add A LOT more to the value usually. If the piece of equipment is named in an artistic or unique way, that could add more value, too.

To sum it up... a helmet named to Joe Schmo wont be worth much more than an unnamed helmet. A helmet named to Joe Schmo who served with the 1st Infantry Division, or Joe Schmo who took part in the Battle of Iwo Jima will be worth A LOT more.

Default Re: Named Equipment

Okay cool thanks I have a few pieces of USMC WW2 gear that is named and came from a 26th amphibious landing corps (not 100% sure of the name) but it gives a lot more information on the guy, where as I have some gear that just has a name that I don't know where it came from.

Thanks,
    Michael