Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22

Article about: Name: DSC04387.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 190.0 KB  ID: 933596 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Evening friends. It seems I have acquired quite the haul of canvas pieces over

Default Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22

Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22Naval canvas kit bag / duffle . Issued. Newey snaps Pat. 20143-22

Evening friends.

It seems I have acquired quite the haul of canvas pieces over the weekend. I must have a soft spot or something.

One piece that certainly stood out was this naval canvas kit bag / duffle. It features twin (rope) handles, storm flap with Newey snaps (Pat 201430-22) 'Newey Brithers Ltd Birmingham - England' Believed to be patented in 1943 onwards (to be confirmed). Inside the bag you will notice large eye lets. I should image there would have been a rope draw cord of some sort that fastened this? Sadly missing.

As you will see there is a great stencil on the top of the bag . Along with O/SEA. D.MAJOR - 'SHOES MAJOR' . As well as A/B. written faintly underneath. Possibly from a previous serviceman? There is also what looks to be a name that was once visible / Sadly I'm unable to identify at this present time. Perhaps with a little more time on my hands. It may correspond to the name inside the case. That reads W/328918 PTE WAINFORD.

Should anyone care to tell me any information about this bag (date / what it was used for) that would be great. Would the writing suggest it was used to carry 'shoes ' at some stage ? Or am I way off? My initial thoughts were a general kit bag?

One thing I did notice. I have a Barbour jacket in stock with the same Newey Snaps and Pat No. Believed to be date around the 1950s. With that said, there is a change the bay could have been made earlier... ummm ? It certainly has that look and feel with signs of wear throughout. Mainly to outer, including marking, rubbing and the odd snag / hole.

I would also be rather interested in finding details on the serviceman in question if possible. I may have to take this to the other thread for that one. Should anyone like to run a search I would be very grateful.

All the best. Gillan

NCA
    ?

W/328918 PTE WAINFORD.
    That is Female service number.The bag itself is actually an ATS kit bag.Looks like it was repurposed...

Correct!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by NCA View Post
    W/328918 PTE WAINFORD.
    That is Female service number.The bag itself is actually an ATS kit bag.Looks like it was repurposed...
    Brilliant. Thank you.

Is there anyway I can date the bag at all, going on the service number / name ? As I'm unable to find any dates or W.D marks.

After a little research I understand that is was the 2nd pattern....

Regards, Gil