Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Odd looking US canteen

Article about: I have seen this canteen with cover for sale but find both of them rather odd. Note the copper seal on the seam of the canteen and the cover seems a bit off perhaps a British made cover for

?

Default Odd looking US canteen

I have seen this canteen with cover for sale but find both of them rather odd. Note the copper seal on the seam of the canteen and the cover seems a bit off perhaps a British made cover for the U.S? The canteen is unmarked as well as the cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd looking US canteen   Odd looking US canteen  

Odd looking US canteen   Odd looking US canteen  

Sometimes it's just plain easier to stick to a canteen set that's 100% correct and original,this could be legit if officially marked on canteen and cover but if not then anything from postwar european to japan boy scout etc,there's plenty of good ww1/ww2 sets on the bay especially your side of the pond,personally it's less hassle in the long run,but this is just my opinion really,others may differ.!

?

I find the copper "seal" far more interesting than the cover..perhaps the company that made this canteen was worried about the lead in the solder (?)
    It would be far more expensive to seal the canteen with copper than lead, too bad there is no makers mark.

As for the cover, I am no expert on US canteen covers, however over the years I have had many as I live close to the US border.

the age to this cover, the green on the lift dots ect, looks like an older legit piece to me.

JUst my thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

?

Thanks Dean.

One more version - your canteen (or rather, her "body"), issued before 1918, judging by the lack of marking. Later, for example, during the war, she was subjected to repair - lost or defective old aluminum cap was replaced by a new plastic cap model 1943 ( as you have) and re-soldered side seams in the body, from which water can seep. This is just my opinion

Looks OK to me, as said an older canteen with a repair. Might have been done at the time or later by some enterprising local. Cover is legit also.

?

Well, I gambled and got them. Canteen is a made in Japan model and the cover is a British made cover from 1944. The copper seam was only paint. Luckily it was fifteen us dollars. The cover alone is worth that.
    Last edited by denfly; 11-01-2016 at 03:49 PM.