Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Age of old bugle ??

Article about: Hi all I'v been trying to research this bugle I bought last week. It's rough as guts but thats how it ended up the person I bought it off said ww1 the bugle is engraved/Hammered 51. presente

Default Age of old bugle ??

Hi all I'v been trying to research this bugle I bought last week. It's rough as guts but thats how it ended up the person I bought it off said ww1 the bugle is engraved/Hammered

presented by
    Rose Polishes Ltd
    I ortslade
    to
    No 1 Cadet Battery
    57th field regt.R.A

A.F.Matthews (DRS) Ltd
    Makers
    London

I know this is a royal artillery regiment because of the RA at the end but I can't find any info on No 1 cadet battery . Most of the info I can find on the 57th is all related to ww2 . just wondering on people opinions on age or if anyone knows a good reference site and or has any info on this would be great . what do peole think ww1 , ww2 or post war ?

Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??Age of old  bugle ??

It can be difficult to date these . There were heaps of them made and many many makers.

Saying that it looks older then WW2

thanks for the opinion australia

I'm stuck, shame it's not playable! presented to a school?

Here's my old one, and it makes the dog howl!!! when I play this American made one

Looks good rene nice lookking bugle. No 1 cadet battery from a school ???? I'm unsure all I know about it is that the 57th field regiment RA served in ww2 that is about as much info that I'v been able to hunt up so far . I though if I could find out some info on No 1 cadet battery it would give and approximate date of the bugle . but there appears to be no info .. well not that I'v come across yet . thanks for showing me rene

A near twin for Rene's. The dedication is extremely familiar looking for WWI pieces as well. Almost certainly not one I would expect to see for WWII.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by matthewtanner View Post
    Looks good rene nice lookking bugle. No 1 cadet battery from a school ???? I'm unsure all I know about it is that the 57th field regiment RA served in ww2 that is about as much info that I'v been able to hunt up so far . I though if I could find out some info on No 1 cadet battery it would give and approximate date of the bugle . but there appears to be no info .. well not that I'v come across yet . thanks for showing me rene
    I assume the suggestion is being made that this Bugle is connected to the Army Cadet Force. Until the ACF was organised on the current County basis in 1942 there were lots of detachments affiliated to either Schools or run by army units. This may be one of them.

Not too sure about the age as this design is still in use today.

It might help to try and research the company name of Rose Polishes Ltd. The I ortslade is actually a mis-stamp of Portslade which is an area of Brighton on the south coast of England.

I believe that M1910 is correct in that No 1 Cadet Bty refers to a unit of the Army Cadet Force (ACF) which is actually a youth organisation sponsored by the Army and that it was affiliated to 57 Regt RA.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks guys with all the info . Mark I tried to research No 1 cadet battery and rose polishes Ltd . Unfortunately I only have the net for reference and there seems to be very little to nothing about either. So I think I'v hit a bit of a dead end .But I think the info you have given me is probably correct .Thanks again.
    regards matty