Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

A Pair of Mk Vs

Article about: Hello folks. Bought these two a few months apart. Two bog standard Mk V service respirators, probably the most common on the UK market. And, I'd imagine, the most numerously produced militar

Default A Pair of Mk Vs

Hello folks.

Bought these two a few months apart. Two bog standard Mk V service respirators, probably the most common on the UK market. And, I'd imagine, the most numerously produced military model. One has its original hose, covered with green stockinette. The other is uncovered, an indicator that it was armoury-replaced at some point. It's cracking a little bit, but nothing that's very noticeable. The mask with the uncovered hose has been wiped down with a damp cloth, being careful not to hurt the broad arrow or size stamp. The other has not, thus the pale, dusty appearance of the facepiece.
    Both are dated 1941. Both made by Avon.

As you can see, these are really nice ones. Apart from a bit of oxidisation around the eyepieces, and the same again to the metal fittings on the bags, they're in near mint condition. Their head spacers are still fully pliable, and the straps are fully elasticated and as good as new. No rust on any of the buckles.

Mask A: Covered Hose

A Pair of Mk VsA Pair of Mk VsA Pair of Mk Vs

Mask B: Uncovered Hose

A Pair of Mk VsA Pair of Mk Vs

The Pair Together

A Pair of Mk Vs

Also of interest are the names on the bags. As ever, I don't have the greatest grasp on the military jargon for shortened ranks. Interestingly, one appears to not be the typical military name/service number combo. They are as follows:

J. Farnell
    F 186
    BHM. 44.

GN. Sharman
    *Service number faded and illegible*

I've attached photos of both names, although they aren't the easiest to read!

Thanks for you interest.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Pair of Mk Vs   A Pair of Mk Vs