Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pattern 1937 Quiz!

Article about: Hi Guys! I thought I would put this pattern 1937 quiz together for fun. Give it a try and see how you do! The following 20 pictures show various Pattern 1937 components from different auctio

?

Default Pattern 1937 Quiz!

Hi Guys!

I thought I would put this pattern 1937 quiz together for fun. Give it a try and see how you do!

The following 20 pictures show various Pattern 1937 components from different auction sites and forums. The object of the game is to figure out which part of the Empire (Britain, Canada, South Africa, India or Australia) each piece of webbing was manufactured in based on clues in the manufacturing style or markings. Note that all pieces are wartime examples and that each has an identifying feature. At the end, tally up your score by looking at the answers and post it below.

1)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

2)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

3)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

4)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

5)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

6)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

7)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

8)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

9)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

10)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

11)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

12)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

13)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

14)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

15)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

16)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

17)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

18)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

19)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

20)
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

?

Default Answers

1) AUSTRALIA – These basic pouches are grubby but readily identifiable as Australian from their ‘C’ hooks, which don’t curve inward to match the beaded edge of the P37 belt. An colored ink Australian acceptance mark is also faintly visible on the right pouch.

2) BRITAIN – Web keepers were an economy measure adopted by English manufacturers

3) INDIA – Aside from the streaky webbing, this frog (designed especially for the spike bayonet) was only produced in any numbers in India.

4) SOUTH AFRICA – The lines of stitching denote multiple layers of combined thin webbing put together, indicative of South African manufacture.

5) INDIA – Aside from the streaky webbing (which is common in Indian and Australian P37), the right pouch has three large grommets at the bottom for drainage (unique to India).

6) CANADA – Canada was the only Dominion to manufacture waterbottle carriers with a front closure stud (similar to the old Pattern 1919 style).

7) BRITAIN – These integrally woven pouches could only be manufactured on the looms of Mills Equipment Company or M. Wright & Sons Limited of England.

8) CANADA – The trapezoid formed by the stitching where the shoulder strap reduces from two inches to one inch is only seen on Canadian-made braces and L-straps.

9) CANADA – The one inch wide closure straps, ballistite loops and smooth snaps makes this pair’s Canadian identity a certainty.

10) AUSTRALIA – The streaky webbing and smooth snap identify this holster as Australian.

11) SOUTH AFRICA – The lines of stitching denote multiple layers of combined thin webbing put together, indicative of South African manufacture.

12) BRITAIN – The bucket-style waterbottle carrier was only adopted as an economy measure by English manufacturers.

13) AUSTRALIA – The streaky webbing and addition of extra buckles makes this a pair of Australian blanket straps. The buckles are also thicker than any other P37 variant, although this is not easy to determine from the picture.

14) SOUTH AFRICA – The light color, loose weave and use of steel fittings makes this a South African waterbottle carrier. Since it does not use multiple layers of webbing, it was most likely made by S.A.P.A.W. rather than D.I. FRAM & Company Limited. (note that this was a very difficult one)

15) SOUTH AFRICA – The gold-painted steel chape on the end of the closure strap indicates that this pouch was made by D.I. FRAM & Company Limited of Johannesburg.

16) INDIA – The Government of India adopted a buckle closure system for its waterbottles during the war, most likely due to the inferiority of early Indian-made snaps.

17) AUSTRALIA – Australian braces and L-straps use two pieces of thin webbing stitched around the edges to make the two inch wide sections.

18) INDIA - The streaky webbing and faint ‘Bata’ maker marks make this an Indian-made pack.

19) BRITAIN – England was the only country to adopt the ‘wrap-around’ method of manufacturing L-straps.

20) CANADA – The Canadian acceptance mark (broad arrow inside the letter ‘C’) is clearly visible. Waterbottle carriers with the top closure strap were made in Canada up to 1942 when they were replaced by the front closure style.

I'll give it a shot but this is a tuffy some pics are crap, give me a bit as I'll have to look on two windows, I dare say I'm going to get a few wrong!!!

?

Blurry pictures are part of the fun when it comes to identifying webbing listed online. I've been unpleasantly surprised by a number of misidentified eBay purchases in the past!

If you think any of my answers are in error, feel free to point it out (I do make mistakes...often)

1 -Aust
    2 -UK
    3 -Aust?
    4 -ZA
    5 -Indian?
    6 -Canada
    7 -Canada
    8 -UK
    9 -Canada
    10-Aust
    11-can't tell
    12-UK
    13-Aust
    14-can't tell
    15-ZA?
    16-UK?
    17-Aust?
    18-Aust
    19-Aust
    20-Canada

Nup I did poorly!!!!! I always wondered about my Bata strap hmm Indian cheers
    Last edited by reneblacky; 01-14-2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: added text

?

Smile

I think you did great for a first try! I can totally see why you picked what you did (now that I look at 19, it does resemble the Australian variant from the angle shown). South African webbing is hard to identify too given the scarcity of examples for comparison...

This is the 'wrap-around' style
    Pattern 1937 Quiz!

It took me years to document all the minute differences of manufacture plus these are very obscure photos (as you pointed out).

Thanks for giving it a go René!

Cheers for the opportunity to do so, as you can see I didn't cheat and gave you my honest answers- shot no.19 I thought Aust as I have one in the green colour and this one I figured was faded.

?

I admire your honesty René! I might change no.19 out for another picture...

If you ever decide to make a quiz yourself, I'll be sure to return the favor.

Quote by karkee View Post
    I admire your honesty René! I might change no.19 out for another picture...

If you ever decide to make a quiz yourself, I'll be sure to return the favor.
    Cheers Mate, as you may have seen I have a couple of mystery items

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast