Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

please ID this US canteen cover!!!!!

Article about: saw this and to be honest can't work out if its US or not,doesn't fit in with anything I've ever seen,thanks for any advice on this unusual looking cover.

Default please ID this US canteen cover!!!!!

saw this and to be honest can't work out if its US or not,doesn't fit in with anything I've ever seen,thanks for any advice on this unusual looking cover.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture please ID this US canteen cover!!!!!   please ID this US canteen cover!!!!!  

From what I can find it's a mounted version of the us canteen cover. most of the pages I find are these for sale, or were for sale. I did find a couple forums though.
    British Made canteen covers - CRAIG PICKRALL FIELD & PERSONAL GEAR SECTION - U.S. Militaria Forum
    scroll down the page on this one to find the pics
    My Collection- United States Army - Olive Drab to Field Grey - World War II Zone Forums

Seems some of these were British made, as part of lend-lease. Hope this helps some.

P.S.
    Some of the other forums, they call it an M-1941 mounted cover.

?

The reinforced webbing on the back suggest Cavalry / Airborne use but I am not sure about the snaps.
    Are there any markings under the flaps.

There's no pics of any type markings whatsoever,the snaps can't be right,the lift dot snap appeared in 1916 and continued right through to the early 60's,also no vertical stitching rows down the front either,even the british made ww2 US types had at least 4 rows,so i'm truely stumped on this one,i agree about the back being of the mounted type but those press studs and the absence of vertical stitching will have to wait.don't have an answer.

Is the canteen just a filler or is it the proper type? Is the liner canvas or of blanket material. I admit, the snaps have me stumped

French Army M47 surplus cover.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanx Steve,knew someone would know,at least I was right in saying it wasn't US made,cheers................