Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish spy radio

Article about: Hi ! This is Polish spy radio, call AP-5. Please help me to find some more details about this radio. Thank you!

?

Default Polish spy radio

Hi !

This is Polish spy radio, call AP-5. Please help me to find some more details about this radio.

Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish spy radio   Polish spy radio  

Polish spy radio  

Default Re: Polish spy radio

I have just looked on google for your Polish radio and there is some information on there, have a go yourself and see what you can find, John.

?

Thank you Blackpowder, I know that. I am waiting for some expert to find more details about this equipment.

whistlinbill
    ?

I thought I put a message on this thread yesterday, but if so, it has disappeared.
    So here goes--this information is from "Wireless For The Warrior", Volume 4.
    This book has about 6 pages on the "Pipsztok" radios used by the Polish Armia Krajowa (Home Army), and a number of central European resistance groups, and about a page and a half on the AP 5.
    the Pipsztok radios date from the late 1930s, when the Polish Second Bureau ordered HF radio sets from a small company named AVA in Warsaw. As you know,
    AVA was also involved in making the Polish copies of the German Enigma machines.
    In September 1939, AVA was evacuated, first to Romania, then to France. The chief designer for AVA, Tadeusz Heftman, took the drawings, specifications and a Pipsztok prototype with him, and got safely to England in 1940. He went to work there at the Polish Radio Centre. At the Centre, they built A 1, A 2, A 3 and AP 4 sets, mostly for the British SOE.
    The AP 5 appears to have been manufactured in 1944; it differed from the earlier sets in that it covered the spectrum from 2MHz to 16MHz in three tuning ranges (most of the earlier models only operated up to 8MHz). The transmitter uses a 6L6 tube; there is a built in Morse key. The radio could be powered from mains or a vibrator power pack or a hand generator. I collect WW2 spy radios and I don't have one--I'd like to buy this one!
    Bill

?

Thank you Bill for detailed letter, maybe I find something for you!

whistlinbill
    ?

Quote by Luger View Post
    Thank you Bill for detailed letter, maybe I find something for you!
    Thanks, Luger, I'd like that!

?

if you are a ham, I would ask some of the old SPs
    rgds Rag

?

Is that the infamous Polish radio set that sent large chunks of information in compacted packets/bursts ?

?

WW2 technology ! No bursts as far as I know.
    Rag

?

Rag,
    There had been rumours of a new secret radio set used by the Poles to send info in packets at high speed.

It would be interesting to see if anybody doe's have any solid information about it.

Cheers

Gary J.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast