MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RAF Fitters Box

Article about: I found this nice RAF toolbox at the weekend. Its marked Wood and Metal Ind LTD and dated 1941 and unusually has a Broad arrow and not an Air ministry Mark. Its marked to an A. Smee number 2

Default RAF Fitters Box

I found this nice RAF toolbox at the weekend. Its marked Wood and Metal Ind LTD and dated 1941 and unusually has a Broad arrow and not an Air ministry Mark. Its marked to an A. Smee number 2081010.

I have found reference to an A.Smee at RAF Tuddenham where 90 Squadron were based flying Stirlings, I am not sure where to check his number though.

Inside the box are some pencil markings which relate to Stirling's and also Halifax's.
    A Moore and Wright Socket comparison is on the inside. I find quite often that wartime sockets are marked in decimal inches.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Fitters Box   RAF Fitters Box  

RAF Fitters Box   RAF Fitters Box  

Attached Images Attached Images RAF Fitters Box  RAF Fitters Box 

?

The Phillips screws suggest that the Smee tag is post war imho.
    Do you think it has been repainted?

Oz.

Hi Oz,
    Phillips screws were around from 1936 and were widely used throughout the war. The American Motor vehicle mechanics tool sets had Phillips drivers in them from 1938. (Look for the U.S. Patents #2,046,837 to 2,046,840 for correct period US Screw-drivers) The other possibility is that they could be Frearson/Reed Prince which were also around at the time.

The box has definitely been repainted and some of the original grey blue can be seen. I am not sure when this was done but certainly some time ago. I may try to remove a layer.

This list has the following allocation of numbers http://www.ab-ix.co.uk/rfc_raf.pdf
    2000000 - 2099999, May 1941, WAAF Enrolments by I of R

I am not sure what "WAAF Enrolments by I of R" means though ?

So to me the A. Smee looks like she should be a WAAF. Any thoughts anyone ?

?

A silly question maybe but why is it RAF (I'm not saying it isn't), because of the reference to Stirling and Halifax planes?

If it was army the regimental number belongs to the RE. Can't help with the I of R but hopefully someone here can.

Very nice piece to have no matter who it belonged to.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    A silly question maybe but why is it RAF (I'm not saying it isn't), because of the reference to Stirling and Halifax planes?

If it was army the regimental number belongs to the RE. Can't help with the I of R but hopefully someone here can.

Very nice piece to have no matter who it belonged to.

Tony
    It is still in the RAF Blue/grey underneath the pale green and also the mention of Stirling and Halifax but I may be barking up the wrong tree...........

?

Ah ok, in that case I'd no doubt come to the same conclusion as you.

Tony

Here is one I have had for a while, it has my Air Ministry tools in it currently waiting to be cleaned up.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Fitters Box   RAF Fitters Box  

?

You can't beat a good set of old tools.

there's no tools like old tools.---LOL.think about it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast