Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic Lee Enfield - Bringing into Australia (Heads up fellow Aussie members).

Article about: Hi everyone, I'd like to bid on a relic Lee Enfield rifle (see pics below) purported to have been found in the vicinity of the La Boiselle battlefield in France. I would like to know if any

Default Relic Lee Enfield - Bringing into Australia (Heads up fellow Aussie members).

Hi everyone,

I'd like to bid on a relic Lee Enfield rifle (see pics below) purported to have been found in the vicinity of the La Boiselle battlefield in France. I would like to know if any fellow Australians or other members have had any issues bringing similar items into the country.

It does appear to be cocked if I am correct...so may be loaded??? The clip looks empty at one end but there could be somehing in the barrel. In any case I'll check with the seller to see if it has been deactivated in any way.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Relic Lee Enfield - Bringing into Australia (Heads up fellow Aussie members).Relic Lee Enfield - Bringing into Australia (Heads up fellow Aussie members).

Legally removed from the site I would hope. That might be a question authorities would ask. If there is a rifle, there may have been human remains, which would make it a war grave. I recall a farmer turned up the remains of a fallen WW1 soldier with his plough a year or so ago. The site and remains were treated with respect by all. His kit was with him (remains of his rifle too) and they identified the NZ soldier. His bones were interned in the War Grave site with his comrades with full military honours and representatives of France and New Zealand military, family and politicians. We need to consider where items like this are coming from and are those recovering the relics doing it legally and with respect for the fallen, if there is any trace of human remains. A seller may say there were no bones around, but can you believe them?

Thanks for the reply Anderson it is a very valid point. I must admit I did not consider this at the time as you would generally assume that most would act with respect but I guess at the end of the day this is not always the case. The listing does not go into much detail much less where it was found. I will message the seller to ascertain where it was found but will have no way of knowing if they are telling the truth or not. I have quite a few relics in my collection including some helmets with bullet holes however I have no way of knowing whether or not these were found among fallen soldiers or on their own but I guess this could be the case for any item that we purchase in that it too could have been found with remains either recently or during the war. I treat all of the items in my collection with the greatest respect knowing that they have the history of a brave soldier attached to them who may or may not have returned home.

I'm sure you are a respectful person Andy, but in this era of the metal detector some, perhaps out of ignorance are digging in places they shouldn't be digging. I'm sure many "diggers" have no idea of the laws in many European countries relating to battle field sites. You make a valid point, many of the militaria items gathered by veterans did come from the dead. But an undisturbed grave of an unknown or unidentified soldier is a little different, to my mind. I guess the onus then falls on the ethical collector to only buy from sellers who document and detail the circumstances of the find and whether human remains were present.

In France, it's impossible to dea such thing, St Etienne send them to the foundry. Don't forget that parcels go thru X rays !
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Thank you again for your reply Anderson. It has given pause for thought and as I now realise that the seller can neither prove or disprove the origins of the find I have decided not to pursue this item.

Hey Andy,
    Just remember the gun amnesty here in NSW just finished November 1st. They may be keen to prevent more guns ( regardless of condition ) coming in.
    I had to surrender a 1910 Iver Johnson 12 gauge because I didn't have a license for it and it was a rusty wall hanger!!!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks Dan. I had actually placed a bid before thinking things through (saw the relic and thought it was fascinating and could have had an Australian connection and Australian WW1 militaria is so hard to find) so I have now asked the seller if I can cancel my bid. There are still five days to run so hopefully it won't cause them any harm. Its a shame we can't even keep replica rifles here as I have a 1915 made Lee Enfield bayonet with a 7th Australian Light Horse frog that my grandfather bought as a kid (my Great Grandfather was in the 1st Light Horse in WW1) which I would have liked to display.

Out of interest, have you ever experienced any issues importing WW1 bayonets? Would seem crazy if it was too hard as it's easy to go to your local shop and buy the biggest sharpest knife you want...no questions asked.

They just make it so hard for the honest collector. I'd love a relic ww2 weapon but the hassle isnt worth it. The two k98 bayos i have date back years before John Howard banned semis after Port Arthur. You could get any number of pointy things from disposal stores then.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

AndyM35,

There are currently no restrictions on importing bayonets into Australia. I live in Queensland and do it quite regularly with no issues or paperwork required. You just need to look into NSW state law as to the legalities of possessing it once it arrives.

https://www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/...ms-and-weapons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast