Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ross Binocular Gunsight

Article about: Hello, I have this Royal Navy binocular gunsight from the anti-aircraft fire direction station on a British Warship. My research suggests that they are wartime but I cant pin it down for cer

Default Ross Binocular Gunsight

Hello, I have this Royal Navy binocular gunsight from the anti-aircraft fire direction station on a British Warship. My research suggests that they are wartime but I cant pin it down for certain. Does anyone know when these were made? Many thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ross Binocular Gunsight   Ross Binocular Gunsight  

Ross Binocular Gunsight   Ross Binocular Gunsight  

This nice wide angle Sight was mounted on a Mk IV Pom Pom director system , gun layers binocular.

Thanks for your reply and welcome to the forum.

I have been on here before but have lost my sign in details so rejoined , I have a diagram of the director and optic in situ, will rty and find it to post on site.

Binocular on its mount.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ross Binocular Gunsight  

Thanks very much for this. Do you have any idea when this dates from?

I have what I believe is the "Control Officers telescope, a small brass monocular sight which has a spider web type range scale in it.

The Type 372 sight is illustrated in Norman Friedman's "Naval Anit-Aircraft Guns and Gunnery", and appears to be WW2.
    B.R. 1634(8), Handbook On The Use Of Radar For Gunnery Purposes Visual/Radar Target Indication

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sh_naval_radar

Unfortunately the actual types and use of optical sights is not well detailed and the example I have is not NP dated , but all points to it being WW2 issue.

This is great information and I am very grateful. I had previously drawn a total blank in trying to find out about these.

The optical quality of these lenses is superb, but they are too heavy to hold steady!

Douglas sorry for the late replt, mRoss Binocular GunsightRoss Binocular Gunsightust date from 1941 at least , the attached photo from IWM shows the set in use on Prince of Wales , have seen similar from HMS Hood.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast