Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

strange apparently military compass restricted to 5 degrees for id

Article about: good evening, please see the attached photos of a strange compass that appears to be British military - typical British green. It measures 2.75 inches long by 7/8ths wide & deep. It has

Default strange apparently military compass restricted to 5 degrees for id

good evening, please see the attached photos of a strange compass that appears to be British military - typical British green. It measures 2.75 inches long by 7/8ths wide & deep. It has 4 lugs indicating that it fitted into something and the needle can be locked. The needle is restricted to 5 degrees either side of the centre line. The only marking is a number 7 on the underside.

Anyone any thoughts what it might be from or for?

many thanks, Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture strange apparently military compass  restricted to 5 degrees for id   strange apparently military compass  restricted to 5 degrees for id  

strange apparently military compass  restricted to 5 degrees for id   strange apparently military compass  restricted to 5 degrees for id  

strange apparently military compass  restricted to 5 degrees for id  

?

Trim gauge?

For an aircraft? The RAF never used this shade of green inside an aircraft. I wonder what else a trim gauge would be used on, perhaps others will expand on your suggestion.

Many thanks, Dave

artillery?

Yes that’s a possibility and the paint job would be correct. Perhaps someone with hands on experience of artillery equipment will add something
    Any thanks, Dave

?

Trim gauge?
    I meant the horizontality of an artillery platform, not aviation.

Used by the artillery. As an ex-gunner I am ashamed to say that I do not know how it was used... but somewhere in our house is a larger walnut cased example marked to the gunnery school at Larkhill.

Cheers,
    Steve

Cheers Narcis, your thoughts are confirmed by Steve aka Harry the mole!

- - ------- - -

Cheers Steve, that’s good enough for me, artillery use it is

Thanks, Dave

Dave, I've found out a bit more information for you. The instrument is a trough compass - also known a 'plane table compass'. It was used for aligning the plane table (plotting table) to establish an exact magnetic north. What sickens me is that I know I have one in the house somewhere... it is dated 1916 and stamped to the school of artillery, and every so often I have a search for it - along with some other bits of WW1 miltaria which was moved to a 'safe' spot when we were carrying out some work some years ago!

Cheers,
    Steve