Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Super auction buy!!!

Article about: Nice finds!Id be glad to find a 43 dated para lid for a £100!! The maker is BMB:Briggs Motor Bodies in case youre wondering... Definitly dont strip it or anything, the paint job it has now i

NCA
    ?

Thumbs up Re: Super auction buy!!!

Nice finds!Id be glad to find a 43 dated para lid for a £100!!
    The maker is BMB:Briggs Motor Bodies in case youre wondering...
    Definitly dont strip it or anything, the paint job it has now is part of its history.

Lucky you!(the search continues)

Default Re: Super auction buy!!!

Jimpy, Thanks for the info on the small pack - looks like I'll be keeping it! (My original plan was to keep the helmet and sell everything else, but the more I find out about everything the more I realise what I good deal I got! I'll have to go to more 'real' auctions and spend less time trawling Ebay)

I've added some more pictures of the rucksac to see if you recognise it. I can't see any miltary marks on it, the zip on the pocket inside of the flap is marked 'FLASH Made in England' so I don't know if it is civilian. The paper label tied to it is interesting though, it reads;
    OC D COY
    3LI
    BFPO804

Really nice finds. Congrats.................!
    ( I like the Mills ! )
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Hi GB.

No probs mate, always glad to help when/where-ever I can

Definately British army issue A-frame rucksac. I'm sure that this is a nice early/mid-issue one. (British army type heavy webbing straps with the heavy brass end tabs and leather re-inforcements confirm it for me)
    The OHMS tag is a nice addition, marked for the Officer Commanding, D-coy, 3 Light Infantry.
    I believe that BFPO 804 was/is a Northern Ireland BFPO.

Have you had a look inside the zipped pocket and on the shoulder and lower back straps for any markings? They may be very faint, but Im sure that you will find them, even if its only a faint trace/outline.

As regards the "blacked" small pack, I am still convinced that this is a 1908 ptn, (3rd issue) small pack and NOT 1937ptn.
    I say this because the shoulder strap is one single width for its entire length and the strap attachment buckles are extended above the main pocket opening on, what appear to be extensions, but are, in reality, the side pieces of the pack. The 08ptn pack is also slightly smaller than the 37ptn version in depth.

Karkee Web is a good site for reference on British army W/E.

Regards etc

Ian D
    AKA: Jimpy
    Last edited by jimpy; 05-07-2011 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Addition

Jimpy, You're right about the pack being 1908ptn (although the straps/buckles have been removed from the back - you can see where they were once attached). Thanks for the Karkee Web link - brilliant and very useful site.
    The only place I haven't checked for markings on the rucksac is inside the zip pocket because it's seized up! (I'll work at it)
    Many thanks for all your help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2