Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces

Article about: I got this lot today for a good price. The other lots linked to it (which I didn't get) related to a Royal Artillery officer. The majority of the webbing is dated 1940. Included is two U.S.

Default Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces

I got this lot today for a good price. The other lots linked to it (which I didn't get) related to a Royal Artillery officer. The majority of the webbing is dated 1940 and is marked with the service number 12506. Included is two U.S. Sleeping bags, large pack and small pack, straps, belt, socks, binoculars and case, holster, tie, mess tins and cover, Canadian moccasins, artillery training pamphlet and a belt and webbing with pack and compass pouch.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces   Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces  

Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces   Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces  

Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces   Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces  

Does anybody know about the moccasins? They have the Canadian acceptance mark, I have seen them before but can't find any info
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces  

The holster has also been sewn to a light weight belt (overalls?). The other lots and the webbing belt here suggest that the owner was of a large size, the belt here would fit a 28" waist at a push. Any ideas?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces   Super auction buy - RA webbing and bits and pieces  

Last edited by Grimebox; 05-21-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Nice little haul.

Never seen the moccasins before.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Great set! The Indian-made binoculars are great (I'd love to find a set of them myself)!

Also, it is great to see a matching set of early war officer's webbing (sans compass pouch?)! He must have been issued a set early on and kept it together throughout the war, even the mess tin cover, made by 'RED ROSE PRODUCTS', bears a 1940 date. It's also interesting that the large pack and support straps were not blancoed, as they were probably left with the unit transport.

Thanks for posting!

Quote by karkee View Post
    Great set! The Indian-made binoculars are great (I'd love to find a set of them myself)!

Also, it is great to see a matching set of early war officer's webbing (sans compass pouch?)! He must have been issued a set early on and kept it together throughout the war, even the mess tin cover, made by 'RED ROSE PRODUCTS', bears a 1940 date. It's also interesting that the large pack and support straps were not blancoed, as they were probably left with the unit transport.

Thanks for posting!

Many thanks, do you have any opinions on the holster stitched to the belt? As previously stated the other lots suggest that the original owner was quite large, having had another look the belt would more likely fit a 26" waist! Given that it is only sewn on one side I wonder whether it was looped on to the webbing belt

?

I was thinking about it, and I have no good ideas why that holster has been stitched to that cloth belt...

Perhaps he was a thinner man when he was issued the webbing around 1940 and became heavier set in the postwar years? That cloth jacket belt wouldn't support the weight of a revolver well.

I'd love to see you reassemble that webbing set and take another photo of it neatly laid out!

As requested, I have laid it out as it came.
    I have also shown what I assume to be the (cut off) socks and the stamps that I can find.

?

Thanks for posting the pictures Grimebox, but I was hoping to see you put the set back together per fitting instructions...

I wonder where the L-straps and ammunition pouch are for this set, perhaps they went in a different lot? The hose tops are certainly interesting! Also, I think that loose belt is Indian-made.

nice semi custom groiping.
    is there any lining inside the booties
    It appears that they are cut down leggings with leather attached with a sewing machince not by hand,
    I am guessing these had been made to help line boots for winter or to go as stand alone snowboots
    just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast