Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Is this Tl-122Flashlight real?

Article about: I have two of these flashlights that I think came from my grandpa but I'm not sure. They are made of plastic so I'm not sure they are real. I read somewhere they switched to plastic after 19

Default Is this Tl-122Flashlight real?

I have two of these flashlights that I think came from my grandpa but I'm not sure. They are made of plastic so I'm not sure they are real. I read somewhere they switched to plastic after 1942. The reason I'm also concerned is because the markings only say Tl-122 not Tl-122A or Tl-122B. They also come with interchangeable blue red and yellow lenses. If it is real what are the lenses for. Thanks, Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this Tl-122Flashlight real?   Is this Tl-122Flashlight real?  

Is this Tl-122Flashlight real?   Is this Tl-122Flashlight real?  

Default Re: Is this Tl-122Flashlight real?

The extra lenses are for HAZ-LOC or 'Hazardous Locations' and are coloured to subdue
    the effect of the light at night. Red is the usual colour for this purpose.

These do appear to be the real thing, but I'm not sure of the actual age
    of the one you have shown. They are still making/using this type,
    as far as I know.

I have three; Two that do not work, probably from the 60's,
    and one fairly recent make that does work......
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks for the quick response. Both of mine work so they might be newer but I don't know, Thanks Nick

Original but not a WW2 issue example.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes, these are current issue type/private purchase PX flashlights, hence the plastic frame...

The clip on the back of it was put there, so that a soldier could clip the flash light onto his LBE, and use it hands free.

The red lense was to be used at night time, as its harder for enemy forces to see it at night time, compared to the standard white light.

Here is a link on this flashlight, and when they were first started to be put into use;

TL-122 Flashlights

Brian

Quote by blackheart0866 View Post
    Yes, these are current issue type/private purchase PX flashlights, hence the plastic frame...

The clip on the back of it was put there, so that a soldier could clip the flash light onto his LBE, and use it hands free.

The red lense was to be used at night time, as its harder for enemy forces to see it at night time, compared to the standard white light.

Here is a link on this flashlight, and when they were first started to be put into use;

TL-122 Flashlights

Brian

Great link on these flashlights, Brian. Thanks !
    Regards,

Steve.

NO problem Steve , as i used that type of flashlight a lot during my time in the service, and i knew of the link years ago, and had it in my fav's.

The end cap should be of a 2 piece construction, as thats where you would store the red lense, and extras colors, as there should be a blue lense also.

Glad i was able to help.

Brian

Guys I really appreciate the responses, it helped me out a bunch. Thanks, Nick