Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Trench periscopes

Article about: After a periscope was recently posted I thought I’d post mine too. I've written below what I believe they are, if anyone has differing opinions I’d be more than happy to hear it and learn es

AIF
    ?

Hi Tony, Nice collection mate! I especially liked the lifeguard I haven't seen one of those before. I have one of the J.W.Handley Aussie made ones myself which I think from memory is 1942 dated.

Cheers Luke.

AIF
    ?

Hey Tony here is the J.W Handley version of the pocket periscope. They used to pop up all the time 10 or so years ago but I don't see too many of these around now. Not sure how many were made, but I have seen them dated both 1942 and 43.

Cheers Luke.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trench periscopes   Trench periscopes  

?

Thanks for the positive comments!

That's a nice one Luke, I remember seeing quite a few as well but as you say, not found that often now. Good to see a 42 dated one as I thought they were all 1943.

AIF
    ?

Hi mate, Thanks if I come across another one with the pouch (which most of the ones I see these days don't have) at a decent price I will let you know. I think the majority are 42 dated I have only ever seen one or two that were 43 dated.

Luke.

A stunning collection of trench scopes, superb. Great to see so many types with information on them, well done and many thanks.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Nice one Luke mate, I'll bear than in mind.

Thanks Jerry, that's very much appreciated.

Quote by ynot View Post
    This one is a British box periscope however, the label is missing so I have no idea what it is but suspect it could be the Adams 1918 model or the 1917 No. 9 MKII, no idea what the difference between them is. The spike which screws onto the bolt at the bottom for ramming into the parapet is missing as is the canvas carry case. The metal slider at the bottom mirror is for eye protection.
    Great collection there. This is one I have WW1 and the spike is also missing

AIF
    ?

What haven't you bloody got hidden away in that Aladdins cave of yours Rene! Haha nice one mate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2