Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Type B-3 Accelerometer US Army

Article about: Hello all, I couldn’t help but take a look at my local junk shop as they just reopened and I’ve had some deals from them in the past. I found this g-units meter I didn’t know much abou

Default Type B-3 Accelerometer US Army

Hello all, I couldn’t help but take a look at my local junk shop as they just reopened and I’ve had some deals from them in the past. I found this g-units meter I didn’t know much about it but I assumed it would have been used by the USAAF because it says US Army and was used in a plane. I picked it up for ten dollars and really I’m just hoping for any extra information that I missed. All I know now is it was used on bombers and I’m thinking it most likely falls into the World War Two time period.

This example was made Jaeger Watch Co. Inc. in New York. The face has small stamps that read,

A.C. U.S. Army
    Type B-3
    Accelerometer
    Jaeger

Cheers and thank for any help,
    Bodhi

Type B-3 Accelerometer US ArmyType B-3 Accelerometer US ArmyType B-3 Accelerometer US Army

?

Nice G meter!!
    That is impressive that it goes to 12 G's.
    Usually 9 G's is max. If they pulled more that 7 on the F-5 it required panels to be pulled for inspections.
    It had a little red arm that would stick where the highest G was achieved. It was checked after every flight.
    When they over G'ed. They would send the Accelerometer to me and we had a rotating table that spun at different speeds to check that the reading was correct. If it was ,and the Pilot exceeded the allow amount 3 time he was grounded for a month.(No Flight Pay)

I wonder what aircraft this is for.

The lock on the back is for when its in transit and unlocked when installed.
    I have overhauled these, a very basic concept of a weight on a pully type system and when the inertia is applied the weight goes up or down moving the gears that controlled the needles.

That button on front is the reset button and should return it to zero.

Semper Fi
    Phil

According to the interwebby fact finder, planes and pilots in WW2 could sustain about 5G max before air-frame damage or blackout occurred.

No point maxing a gauge to 12Gs if you're dead at 6!!! - I'm going for the jet age ( doesn't stop it being a cool item though )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you guys very much, the knob on the front is a reset although it’s been messed with because it resets to One. I found a patent paper online but I lost it so I’m trying to find it again. The patent paper had the exact same one I have here. I’m pretty sure it’s ww2 era because all the examples I’ve seen so far are labeled as ww2 era, but I could be wrong. Supposedly it was used on aircraft like the B-17, B-24, B-25 etc. I found two links on to a previously sold example and one to the Smithsonian Air and Space museum.

The example in the worthpoint link gives lots of info.

G-Meter / Accelerometer, Jaeger Type B-3 | National Air and Space Museum

JAEGER ACCELEROMETER G-METER B-17 B-24 B-25 US ARMY AIR CORPS | #1568349527

PS. I’ll try and find the link with the patent papers but I think I lost it to the depths of the internet.

Cheers for the responses,
    Bodhi

Just noticed the one in the link to the air and space museum has a yellow sticker which I think says Oct. 1951. And it also has red lines painted on that seem to match the g tolerance you guys said.

?

One needle is the actual G' needle. It will move when you pull G's. The other 2 are the MAX needles.
    They will stay at the MAX G's pulled. + & - G's
    A quick Flight Line Check was to hold it in your hand and swing your arm around in a circle. How fast you go will be more G's. Then hit the reset button to make sure it resets.

On the Gmeter you link you see the RED mark on the glass bezel. That was an indicator of the aircrafts Max G's. Anything over that means you might have bent something.

At VMFT 401, because we were civilians tech's, The Pilots would have to by beer for the PHASE crew's who had to pull all the panels of so longeron could be checked for stress.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks Phil for the great help! Good to see some speculations of mine weren't too far off. Also good to see spinning it around in my hand (did this nearly right when I got home) is something that was actually done and not just me messing about.

Great to learn some inside info and small stories too and not just the basics. Thanks for the help!

Cheers
    Bodhi