Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.S. clone canteen cover?

Article about: I got a canteen cover recently but am suspicious as to whether it's a US model. It has 4 stitches on front instead of 7 and no US stamped on the front. The rear belt hanger seems ill fitted

?

Default U.S. clone canteen cover?

I got a canteen cover recently but am suspicious as to whether it's a US model. It has 4 stitches on front instead of 7 and no US stamped on the front. The rear belt hanger seems ill fitted and cheaply sewn. The bottom is a smoother texture than the rest of the covers canvas. There are no markings on the buttons except for a dot mark. Any ideas as to what country used these and what era?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S. clone canteen cover?   U.S. clone canteen cover?  

U.S. clone canteen cover?   U.S. clone canteen cover?  

U.S. clone canteen cover?   U.S. clone canteen cover?  

U.S. clone canteen cover?  

I think I can see remnants of a 'US' stamp on the first pic? Might just be my eyes though...

?

I double checked it and must be a shadow mark. There's no markings at all on this cover.

It's hard to judge without having this one in hand, but I'm not convinced it isn't US made.

looking at the stitching on the canvas for the hanger, I think it might be a repro. Almost all of the covers I've seen are stitched better and the stitching goes closer to the edge and then crosses from corner to corner. IMA has one that looks a lot like this one, and it's listed as a new made item. It has the same 4 stitches in front, but the hanger looks a little different.

U.S. WWII Infantry Canteen Cover ima-usa.com

?

WW2 US canteen covers with 4 rows of stitching are British made. I think it is an original....

Quote by rob214 View Post
    WW2 US canteen covers with 4 rows of stitching are British made. I think it is an original....
    That's true indeed. That might also explain the differences in manufacturing.

?

I was thinking that also but weren't they marked?

They were marked with 'US', maker and 'British Made' but markings can fade. Unfortunately I can't reach mine at the moment, but you could google for another example and compare them?

Sounds right Brit made as they generally used od7 shade not od3 khaki,and yes all Brit made stuff for US Army was indeed stamped US including M28 doughboy packs,m43 shovel covers and other webbing too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast