Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

U.S WW2 Field Phone

Article about: Hey guys this i also got from my dad as a gift when he went to texas.. Its a U.S ww2 field phone. He got it when he went to a big flea market in texas. Thanks Ryan

?

Default U.S WW2 Field Phone

Hey guys this i also got from my dad as a gift when he went to texas.. Its a U.S ww2 field phone. He got it when he went to a big flea market in texas.
    Thanks
    Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture U.S WW2 Field Phone   U.S WW2 Field Phone  

U.S WW2 Field Phone   U.S WW2 Field Phone  

U.S WW2 Field Phone   U.S WW2 Field Phone  

U.S WW2 Field Phone  

Default Re: U.S WW2 Field Phone

Looks like an Army Signal Corps EE-8-B but I'm not so sure it is WWII period, does it have any markings to date it? The early EE-8's and EE-8-A's were in leather cases with leather shoulder straps, they didn't hold up well to dampness. The leather casees were soon done away with and went to the canvas w/water proof liner type case. These things were made for early WWII, or before, on through post Vietnam. We have two early WWII EE-8's stuffed in the closet. The EE-8-A & B I believe are pretty much the same field phone but of course with the much improved carrying case. We also have one an EE-8-B with all german writing. Someone told me it was part of a West German lend lease kind of deal.

I agree, it looks more like Viet Nam or newer era to me, at least the case does. From the pic's, the phone itself looks just like my leather cased and canvas cased ones. Old phone in a new case perhaps used by a reserve unit???

Thanks

Burt

?

Thanks guys! I was thinking that too after looking at other phones online. I noticed the case looked newish but the phone looked 40s vintage. So do any other people have any opinions?
    Thanks
    Ryan

Ryan,

I just pulled out our two WWII, leather cased EE-8's and our Germany Army EE-8-B and looked them over. Other than the cover (and the german writting on the EE-8-B) they are virtually idendical. I am sure their are some subtle differances but I really don't think the field phone itself changed much. Thought I'd share this little blurb I wrote up, for my son, when he displays his collection....I did a little reseach,a year or so ago, to write this up:

The EE-8 portable field telephone was used by the Signal Corps from early in WWII through Vietnam and on in to the 1980’s. Minor changes introduced the EE-8-A and EE-8-B however, these changes were focused on the case leaving the telephone virtually unchanged during its lifetime. Utilizing standard D-cell batteries, the EE-8-B had a talking range of 11 to 17 miles, suitable for Corps area usage. A hand crank ringing generator was utilized to alert the opposing phone operator.

Russ

?

Thanks for the info russ! So do you think this phone us ww2 or Do you think its later.
    Thank
    Ryan

Ryan, I really have no idea myself on what vintage your phone might, it does not look to be too old but that really does not mean a thing. The only thing I can tell you with some certainty is that they quit using the leather case in 1942 or possibly 1943.

I do thank you posting this thread, it's promted me to drag ours out of the closet to work on them. My kid will be displaying some of his collection again, here at the end of the month, and I told him I would get these working so that he could set them up on either end of his display and people could use them...........lets see if I can bring life to these old relics!

Russ

?

A lot of the early synthetic case’s for circa 1943 onwards , that I’ve seen were made from a Vinylite or Tufnell type material I.E a course cotton panel webbing impregnated with plastic, basically the same technology used to make the plastic scabbards for the M3 fighting knife. As to your model again I would say that this looks very Vietnam to me, with the use of the thin nylon fabric inside being the dead giveaway, as nylon was not used for much apart from parachutes canopy and stockings during WWII.

nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

You can unscrew the earpiece on the phone and usually some of the electronic parts will have dates. I have a 1945 field phone and some of the internal parts were dated January 1945.

Justin

?

Thnks guys ill try the unsrewing thing tommarow when i have a chance.
    Thanks
    Ryan