Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

UK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with Binos

Article about: Just took some new pics of some junk I have

Quote by AIF View Post
    Rene, there is no end to your junk pile is there mate?

Oh and by the way, nice bino's!
    Cheers Luke Mate

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Well, prompted by Rene to root through my own junk pile (no copyright there mate ) I was going to show my similar "Bino Prism No2 MkIII" glasses for comparison but they seem to be buried so deep I need binos to find them However, I did turn these up which being British and binos might add to the thread.

Barr & Stroud, Glasgow and London CF41 7x40 Naval Glasses.

As the model suggests these appeared in 1941 and were in service with the RN until the mid to late '80s.

They were never date marked but this is an early set indicated by the extending "spray guards" on the front optics.

They don't have a graticle, ships have better methods, but they do have three coloured filters inside which are controlled by the two knobs on the inner body in front of the eye pieces.

Like so many things that a lot of us have in our collections these are a mile away from my core collecting interests but one of those "one look must have" items. As soon as I saw them I could hear myself calling out "submarine on the surface" "action stations" "all ahead full" etc etc like a big kid (we've all done it right? )

They are in very good order and really tactile, just a nice thing to have

Regards

Mark
    Very nice Mark, now please find yer other set. I'd love to see them Mate.
    Last edited by reneblacky; 05-05-2020 at 04:14 AM. Reason: added pic

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Well, prompted by Rene to root through my own junk pile (no copyright there mate ) I was going to show my similar "Bino Prism No2 MkIII" glasses for comparison but they seem to be buried so deep I need binos to find them However, I did turn these up which being British and binos might add to the thread.

Barr & Stroud, Glasgow and London CF41 7x40 Naval Glasses.

As the model suggests these appeared in 1941 and were in service with the RN until the mid to late '80s.

They were never date marked but this is an early set indicated by the extending "spray guards" on the front optics.

They don't have a graticle, ships have better methods, but they do have three coloured filters inside which are controlled by the two knobs on the inner body in front of the eye pieces.

Like so many things that a lot of us have in our collections these are a mile away from my core collecting interests but one of those "one look must have" items. As soon as I saw them I could hear myself calling out "submarine on the surface" "action stations" "all ahead full" etc etc like a big kid (we've all done it right? )

They are in very good order and really tactile, just a nice thing to have

Regards

Mark
    Hey Mark Mate did you find the pesky buggers? if not I really do understand if it is difficult to locate!

Shows how sad I am, I still use a set of No 2's as a quick grab set for none operational work! I do have a couple of very nice Scout Regt telescopes though and I use one of those when shooting my Enfield.

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Hey Mark Mate did you find the pesky buggers? if not I really do understand if it is difficult to locate!
    I know pretty much where they are but they are going to be hard to get at! Stand by

As they say "cover me, I'm going in"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Ah my thread, throwing in some Australian & Canadian patt 37 crap I've set up out of boredom

And an extra UK bit!

Yep found 'em eventually whilst searching for something else

They are '43 dated though the case and strap are both later, this is perfectly normal as they were not issued as a set from stores even though they would always "live together" in use.

This set is pretty well used but remains in excellent condition with optics that are clear for their age.
    The reticle is present in the right optic and as these have separate left and right focus wheels you might find that if you focus your right optic with your left eye closed the reticle will become visible

This set has never been dismantled whilst I have had it but would have been during service life for routine maint and servicing by instrument techs.

I think that given the intended environment that these were made for these are one of the very best field glasses around all things considered.

Regards

Mark
    UK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with BinosUK Bino Case. Patt 37 set with Binos
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-08-2020 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

And an extra UK bit!
    Unbelievably we still had these in our platoon stores alongside the later type with webbing sheaths as late as the early '80s. Nobody wanted to be issued with this "ancient crap" though much preferring the "modern ones". I could easily have held onto several when they were eventually scrapped (they were not backloaded just tossed in the bin, not even chopped up FFS) but I just didn't feel the need then as they would "never be collectible right?"

Regards

Mark

Cheers for showing Mark, interesting the different models used for the Mk's 1 & 2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast