Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures

Article about: The Union of South Africa received a great deal of webbing from both Great Britain and Canada during the Second World War. As the war progressed, the Union began its own domestic webbing pro

?

I am in agreement with Warspite on this. Since the vast majority of SA webbing is misidentified, it is difficult to assess the value. If the piece is properly identified with nice crisp markings, the condition is nice (clean webbing, metal fittings not corroded) and the right audience sees it, I imagine the price could increase significantly as well. Obviously, a matched set of basic pouches is better than a single pouch.

Hope this helps!

Warspite , karkee thank you Gentelman for your help.

I have finally picked up a second SA basic pouch, this example by DI Fram:
    Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in PicturesUnion of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in PicturesUnion of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures
    The thing that struck me straight away was how much better quality it as compared with the SAPAW version:
    I haven't quite got enough pieces to build a full set of SA 37 pattern yet, but it is slowly starting to come together!

You're getting there! I can't even get close to set yet!

?

Hi guys,
    I catched small set of SA equipment 2 utility pouches, small pack, revolver ammo pouch - was iside the one utility pouch but indian made.

smallpack dated 1944 FRAMM
    utility pouches dated 1943 and 1945

Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in PicturesUnion of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in PicturesUnion of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in PicturesUnion of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures

?

on the begining I thought that small pouch is SA made because fitting lugs looked coroded with paint chips, but after opening i found indian markings...

As far as I noticed SA factories produced only basic canvas equipment like small packs, utility pouches, belts, canteen covers, bayonet scabbards, braces.
    What about other P37 equipment ? In this thread I noticed that they used equipment produced in other Commowealth countries adding ther own U broad arrow signature.

best regards

?

Quote by wlotek View Post
    on the begining I thought that small pouch is SA made because fitting lugs looked coroded with paint chips, but after opening i found indian markings...

As far as I noticed SA factories produced only basic canvas equipment like small packs, utility pouches, belts, canteen covers, bayonet scabbards, braces.
    What about other P37 equipment ? In this thread I noticed that they used equipment produced in other Commowealth countries adding ther own U broad arrow signature.

best regards
    Good identification wlotek on the Indian pouch and nice South African basic pouches and small pack! I don't know why so much South African webbing ended up in Continental Europe after the war, but it seems that I see it more commonly there.

The pouch was made by the 'Government Harness & Saddlery Factory, Cawnpore'.

South Africa appears to have received large quantities of webbing from both Britain and Canada (which they did seem to mark early on). I have seen most of the Pattern 1937 line produced by the two SA makers, including most of the officers' webbing. Who knows what pieces may yet be uncovered!

?

Regarding the presence of SA equipment in Europe, I bought some SA helmets and presented equipment from Greece. My friends found simmilar items there too. I heard from someone, that Greeks bought some stocked demobil equipment from Commonwealth countries operated in Mediterranean region. Some SA helmets were found in Israeli military auctions with Israeli white sand paint on them.

I recently bought some literature regarding SA Army in WW2 with nice pictures from early war ( East and North Africa) and late ( Italian Campaign). As far as I noticed and compared to other people remarks I put forward hypothesis that during early war campaigns SA Army was equipped by British and Canadian made stuff. The SA made p 37 equipment is clearly seen on some photos from Italian campaign. cheers

?

Hi there, recentl purchased South African made P37 holster. Although it is in fair condition, I took it cause have never saw S.A. made one. D I FRAM & Co. LTD. Note specific sewing of the bottom part to the body.
    Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in PicturesUnion of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in PicturesUnion of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures

?

Default friend's SA stuff

new finds somewhere in South Africa
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures   Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures  

Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures   Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures  

Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures   Union of South Africa Pattern 1937 Webbing Set in Pictures  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3