Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Ammo Boxes, Help with Identification needed.

Article about: My grandfather showed me these two ammo cases yesterday, I'm wondering if any one can help identify some of the info for them, all I know is that they are Canadian. Thanks

Default Unknown Ammo Boxes, Help with Identification needed.

My grandfather showed me these two ammo cases yesterday, I'm wondering if any one can help identify some of the info for them, all I know is that they are Canadian.
    Thanks
    Unknown Ammo Boxes, Help with Identification needed.Unknown Ammo Boxes, Help with Identification needed.Unknown Ammo Boxes, Help with Identification needed.

?

I mean it says on both of them,

25PR

In reference to the british artillery cannon the 25 pounder

The top one held the 8 cartridges

bottem one had complete rounds stored in them

These would have been used to carry ammunition for the Ordnance QF 25-Pounder: Ordnance QF 25-pounder - Wikipedia

Presumably they held different components of the shell, e.g. fuses and the shells themselves. Although I couldn't say which was which. We have some very experienced ordnance collectors here who will be able to provide more in-depth assistance.

EDIT: Jb has beaten me to it!

Regards, B.B.

ok thank you, sorry for my lack of understanding but I can't seem to find anything about a marking on the front of the taller one. Its a 6 within a red circle, does anyone know what that represents?

ILH
    ?

Hi, thanks for the post, your granddad's boxes do appear to be a little bit more than the usual 25pdrs I've seen.... There are a lot of dull ones out there.
    Some more pics would be nice, please.
    The big box could clean up well with a quick wash. I'm guessing you've spotted the 1945 date pressed in the lid.

The sticker is a health and safety warning label saying that the box contained explosive of "government explosive (class) 6".

?

Hello the markings on the shell container seem to make out that they are HE Mk1 Shells and are fuzed (fzd) with a No 119B Mk IV fuze which was introduced in 1943 and was a direct impact and graze percussion fuze. The markings underneath once cleaned should reveal the manufacturers monogram with lot/batch number again which normally includes a year dating.