Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

unknown British item

Article about: Another fea market pick up , looks like may be part of horse saddle but not sure Annoyed from this ads?  

Default unknown British item

Another fea market pick up , looks like may be part of horse saddle but not sure
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture unknown British item   unknown British item  

unknown British item  

womens army issue suspenders. lol.

Chain horse bit?........

I'd say an Arty/wagon harness. Similar to those in this image.

unknown British item

All the best

Dave

It's interesting that these were still being made in 1944 due to obsolescence of horse transport in the British army. I understand that horses were still part of many armies of the WW2 period but by 1944 one would think there would not be a need for new build items in the mech. British Army

Love this from "Band of Brothers" Webster to a passing line of German POW's with horse transport,

"Hey, you! That's right, you stupid Kraut bastards! That's right! Say hello to Ford, and General ****in' Motors! You stupid fascist pigs! Look at you! You have horses! What were you thinking? Dragging our asses half way around the world, interrupting our lives... For what, you ignorant, servile scum! What the **** are we doing here? "

Dave

Hi Dave thank you looks like you have found the part ,the one i have is unused so must have just been in storage

Quote by Thanatos View Post
    It's interesting that these were still being made in 1944 due to obsolescence of horse transport in the British army. I understand that horses were still part of many armies of the WW2 period but by 1944 one would think there would not be a need for new build items in the mech. British Army

Love this from "Band of Brothers" Webster to a passing line of German POW's with horse transport,

"Hey, you! That's right, you stupid Kraut bastards! That's right! Say hello to Ford, and General ****in' Motors! You stupid fascist pigs! Look at you! You have horses! What were you thinking? Dragging our asses half way around the world, interrupting our lives... For what, you ignorant, servile scum! What the **** are we doing here? "

Dave
    Hi, it may well be a harness, I was thinking that it may have been for a mule rather than a horse as the British were using mules and donkeys out in the Far East/Burma. Leon.

Good point Leon hadnt thought of that thank you

I think Dave's got it, breast collar for a heavy harness/pole rig is what it looks like to me. I've seen similar tack used at heavy horse ploughing matches. Example below on a RHA team and indicated '1' on the diagram.

BTW, in the photo's above it's upside down, buckle tabs should be facing upwards.

Regards, Ned.

unknown British itemunknown British item
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thank you Ned yes looks to be the part

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast