Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown British metal container, possibly for Food

Article about: Hi guys, i recently purchased this box, it is similar to British ammunition boxes but it is galvanised with a metal container inside surrounded by wood. My first though was that it is for pr

Default Unknown British metal container, possibly for Food

Hi guys, i recently purchased this box, it is similar to British ammunition boxes but it is galvanised with a metal container inside surrounded by wood. My first though was that it is for preparing or serving food in a field kitchen. Any help identifying the box would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
    Harry

Unknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for FoodUnknown British metal container, possibly  for Food

Hi Harry,
    You don't say how big it is but I think it is an ammunition box for a Royal Navy 2pdr Pom Pom gun, but may of had other uses as well.

The internal lid is sealed around with putty.

I have one which has some stencilling on the front on the galvanised coating and some stencilling on the lid over brown paint which I guess was postwar. it is to do with RAF Seletar in Singapore.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown British metal container, possibly  for Food   Unknown British metal container, possibly  for Food