Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unknown era military peg leg with crutch

Article about: Ok guys, i finally got the photos of the Pegleg and crutch. Now that i look at it, it looks much older then WWI maybe even civil war era. I did a very detailed inspection and i couldn't find

?

Default Unknown era military peg leg with crutch

Ok guys, i finally got the photos of the Pegleg and crutch. Now that i look at it, it looks much older then WWI maybe even civil war era. I did a very detailed inspection and i couldn't find any markings. What do you guys think?
    Ryan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown era military peg leg with crutch   Unknown era military peg leg with crutch  

Unknown era military peg leg with crutch   Unknown era military peg leg with crutch  

Unknown era military peg leg with crutch   Unknown era military peg leg with crutch  

Unknown era military peg leg with crutch  

Default Re: Unknown era military peg leg with crutch

Interesting. I don't know anything about these so I can't date it. The Civil War Museum of Medicine is in Frederick, MD, not far from me, I don't know if they could help give you a time period. Looks rather well made to be a field made piece.

I would say post civil war the reason is they would cut the leg at the knee level and this would look much lower.
    just my opinion.
    chris

ian
    ?

did you find any PARROT bones with it LOL
    very interesting finds you have there ,,i dont know anything about them but i would say you are right ,they are older than ww1 ,,
    cheers ian

?

Ok thanks guys, this is such a weird piece its hard to even know what date it is. Her husband claimed it was WWI date so it could be around that date. I'm going to post this up in a little on USMF and see what they say also because this is going to need multiple opinions.
    Ryan

Tell us what they say.
    chris

?

Once i get back from eating i will have to resize every photo "which is annoying about USMF".... And then post it up
    Ryan

I would say from the styling of it and the condition of the wood that it is certainly older than WWI and more than likely Civil War or Indian Wars era. Not to say, though, that it may not have been Used by a WWI disabled Vet who had very little money available. It would, of course, have originally had a pad and leather strapping. The extra long outer board is unusual and it's difficult to imagine what the injury must have been to require such a contraption. Most likely, the hip socket on the leg was also disabled and needed the support to allow some sort of walking to still be done. A disturbing and somber set, in any case, and one not to be seen outside of a museum any time soon.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thank you so much for your reply William, if the price is right do you think i should buy it? its most likely gonna be around 40$-50$.
    Thanks
    Ryan

If it's something you like and collect and appeals to you, $40 bucks is a giveaway price for the 2 pieces. Where would you ever be able to find another set?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast