Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Unknown era military peg leg with crutch

Article about: Ok guys, i finally got the photos of the Pegleg and crutch. Now that i look at it, it looks much older then WWI maybe even civil war era. I did a very detailed inspection and i couldn't find

Default Re: Unknown era military peg leg with crutch

It is hard to say with certainty when that prosthetic leg was made, but the odds are that it was well before the 19th Century. It’s the sort of peg-leg that is depicted in a Robert Louis Stevens novel about pirates and buried treasure, which would place it in the 15th to 18th Century. By the 19th Century, Prosthetics were becoming fairly sophisticated, as is evidenced by the three photos of WWI prosthetics below. The last two photos are examples of relatively sophisticated prosthetics that were being made by Ambrose Peré in Paris in the 16th Century, but they are the exception rather than the rule and only the very wealthy could afford them. The primitive type you posted are representative of the vast majority of prosthetic legs that were made by craftsmen such as ship's carpenters, cabinet makers, and smiths from before the Romans. Dwight

Here are two examples of fairly sophisticated prosthetics from the 16th Century, produced in France probably by Ambrose Paré.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown era military peg leg with crutch   Unknown era military peg leg with crutch  

?

Thank you so much for your reply! For the money "around 50$" i'm going to offer its not going to hurt as a minor investment. Heck ot might be worth something.
    Ryan

Believe it or not, there Are people who collect medical oddities. I'm sure that if you inquired around, you would find plenty of takers who would add another zero to your purchase price-possibly even more.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Oh wow thats great, ill go look around. Ill go buy it tomorrow from her, ill just leave it in my garage because it kinda creeps me out, but i will for sure look for buyers
    Thanks Again
    Ryan

ha har long John Silver me heartys.

I was at an antique store in Gettysburg today and they had two peg legs slightly different and more crude, civil war era, one was around $400 and the other was up around $950! So you might have a great score. Granted those are antique store prices so they price it to sell lower.

?

Oh wow! Ill get those asap then, we finished selling at the flea market today so when i drop off the tables i will make an offer and hopefully buy them.
    Ryan

?

Alright guys, I got the pegleg and crutch, they are in my possession. I payed 60$, which was a risk i'm willing to take with the information you guys gave me. Now I have to do some research and find a buyer.
    Ryan

Howdy there! Ya found my wood i see... How 'bout a flask o' rum, a musket and a rusty old blade to conquer the seven seas?
    AYE AYE CAPTAIN!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown era military peg leg with crutch 

Have no worries....you certainly won't lose your investment here. If all else fails, email me and I'll give you what you paid for them! lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast