Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type)

Article about: Well, I seem to have made an impulse buy this time. I looked under "ending soonest" for militaria and saw these mittens for sale. With only 2 minutes left, I frantically searched f

Default Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type)

Well, I seem to have made an impulse buy this time. I looked under "ending soonest" for militaria and saw these mittens for sale. With only 2 minutes left, I frantically searched for an ID, but to no avail.

I'm not sure what type of gloves they are or when they were manufactured, but they seem to be of a good construct; definitely GI issued. Can anyone shed some light on this? I only paid around $10 for them.

Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type) Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type) Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type) Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type)

(As I've said, I'm not sure this is of WW2 era, but please move to the appropriate section if deemed not so)

?

Default Re: Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type)

I believe these are some kind of sniper or trigger gloves I think they are ww2 not sure never seen one like this before

That is somewhat reassuring I plan on making a winter-supplied US soldier mannequin in the future, and these would really make my day if they were to be WW2.

Does the stamping look of WW2 fashion?

The buckle reminds me of this one. https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/equip...ittens-248041/

I've also noticed that some other trigger-finger mittens of WW2 (various countries) have a similar buckle/strap.

?

I've seen ww2 one this style before

A VERY close match here: WW1 or WW2 French Artillery or Gunners Gloves | eBay

The cuff must be a removable wool glove acting as a liner. There are a few differences between the two, like the rivet design and placement.

Edit: The end of the leather strap is squared off on the one I bought. It is rounded off on the one listed above.

?

I know that the AAF bomber crews had mitten that had the separate trigger finger, But the ones I have seen were all leather. The do look like they were made for war!!! I can't make out what the stamping on them say's.... Can you make it out? \
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Does the part of the glove with the markings come out of the glove completely

I believe the woolen cuffs are separate to the mitten. I've made out (top to bottom, many words missing): Large - Garment - Wool - 30% Nylon - Dry ?

Here is a similar glove that I posted the link to above. The seller of it said it is french (french name and city written inside of it). He is not sure what this glove is either .

It is not 100% the same. The main differences are in the leather strap. The rivets are slightly different, the placement of the strap is different, the ends of the strap are different (mine square, this one rounded), and the round snap is a darker green.

The similar glove:

Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type) Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type) Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type) Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type) Unknown gloves - leather - OD canvas (NOT the yellow leather type)

^ I can assume that the part comes out, judging from this similar glove. I haven't received it yet.

?

The part of the glove with the white marking is definitely white, maybe they just put the French gloves over them possibly done by a GI