Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

US Army mess tin

Article about: I have got an US M-1942 mess tin, without producer markings or date of production. "U.S." block letters only are clearly visible on the handle. I tried to find more details as rega

Default US Army mess tin

I have got an US M-1942 mess tin, without producer markings or date of production. "U.S." block letters only are clearly visible on the handle. I tried to find more details as regards this example, however without success. Can anybody tell me whether is this a WWII item or post-war production?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Army mess tin   US Army mess tin  

This type was used right into vietnam so without the date or mfg there's no way of telling..............

?

Without a date I would have to agree it is hard to date do you check all over, sometimes different manufactures stamp them different. There is a chance that the date was just worn off of it.

Thank you very much for support.
    As regards the use of the mess tin Model 1942, I am absolutely aware, that examples made during WWII were still in “service” in Vietnam. But question concerns date of manufacture. I have checked many of sources trying to find an answer, but with no success.
    Most of American WWII era M1942 mess tins are marked with name of manufacturer and date of production. Belgian mess tins produced for US Army in 1945 are also signed with name of producer (at least two factories).
    Appearance of the mess tin in question suggests, that it could be produced in ’40 or ’50. It could not be produced later as Vietnam War era mess tins differ with WWII items due to new type of producer’s markings appearing (with signature consisting of three lines).
    I have no data as regards production of mess tins in late ’40 – early ’60. I suppose that USA could cease production of mess tins for some time, as it is hardly to see any of them with dates later than 1945 and earlier than 1964.
    But maybe different type of markings was used in this period (?) – e.g. referenced U.S. block letters only or U.S. block letters with name of producer without date of production as one can find some tins with such markings (e.g. manufactured by Wyott).
    So, still looking for an answer.