Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Half Tent - Cleaning

Article about: Hi, We have found a Clifton Half Tent (1942) in an attic. Unfortunatelly it is very dirty and very badly smelly. If you have got some ide how can I clean it a little bit, please let me know!

Default US Half Tent - Cleaning

Hi,
    We have found a Clifton Half Tent (1942) in an attic. Unfortunatelly it is very dirty and very badly smelly. If you have got some ide how can I clean it a little bit, please let me know! (just clean and cold water, or I can use some detergent maybe or nothig)
    Important! Tere is a singn from the US owner: HASKEY 37218596. It must be saved!
    Thank you for your answer in advance!
    George
    US Half Tent - CleaningUS Half Tent - CleaningUS Half Tent - CleaningUS Half Tent - CleaningUS Half Tent - Cleaning

Do not attempt to clean it. These stains probably would not come out anyway. It is fine as it is.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

But the smell.......

Take it outside and air it out of direct sunlight. You can also carefully beat the dust out of it.

If you wash it, it could fade the colour badly.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Thank you very much! I will follow your advice.
    George

?

If you have to wash it,use distilled water or fresh water from a spring or a well. Not tap water. Use woolite or another mild detergent. Then use canvas retreating compound to put back the waterproofing protection. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Two very good suggestions above,
    mine is in between the two;

The smell is most likely due to mildew type fungus and dust plus being folded away whilst damp or in damp air so depending on how good the water quality is in your area, I'm sure in Hungary it is pretty good, hang it on a washing line out of the sun as Ade suggested then beat / brush it. Now hose it down with cold water (it's a tent and meant to get rained on!) then let it air dry making sure that it is fully open to the air with no folds. Beating it will loosen or remove any dry dust and clean water which is free of any chemicals should wash away any remains and is cleaner than rain. Then it should be fine.

I doubt I would re-proof it unless you intend to use it as modern treatments used on old material can change the appearance or worse leave visible residue. I appreciate you need to remove the unpleasant smell but be careful.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you! Our water quality is really good, it is true.
    Now I have a lot of useful information, I can use them to save this old tent.
    Thanks again for all of you!
    George

CBH
    ?

A good friend of mine who is a antique dealer , when he gets a smelly quilt or blanket . He puts it in a trunk and covers it it cedar shavings and leaves it for a week or so . The cedar shaving take away the bad smells , not sure it will work with treated cloth . Also sometimes the chemicals used to treat cloth cause the bad smell . Good Luck .

It is interesting idea, but I can imagine it works well. I think it can absorb a lot of things and it smells very good. Thank you. If the clear water dose not help, I try it. (a little bit difficult to me keep the tent in it for a few weeks..... )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast