Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

US M2 50 cal ammo tin markings

Article about: Hi all, i just wondered if anybody could help me identify markings on this 50 cal ammo tin.. is there anyway of telling if the markings are war time? Many thanks as always, Shaun

?

Default US M2 50 cal ammo tin markings

Hi all, i just wondered if anybody could help me identify markings on this 50 cal ammo tin.. is there anyway of telling if the markings are war time?
    Many thanks as always, Shaun
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M2 50 cal ammo tin markings  

The repacking number might be a date, in which case it would be the 23rd August 1965. The can itself might be a WWII-era piece. These things were made during the Second World War, but there's no reason they wouldn't have continued using them long afterwards. Are there any markings stamped into the metal of the can?

Keeping in mind I know next to nothing about American ammunition box markings, so I might be miles off.

Regards, B.B.

?

The M2 box made around 1943 to early 60s when it production stopped with the M2a1 box being the replacement, but the m2 box was still used for decades after. Is there a maker mark on the sides?

HI,

This site is amazing with info US M2 .50 Ammo Cans. U.S Military Metal Ammo Boxes

Here is a set of pics of my WW2 era .50 Ammo Box. This is for a M2 Machine gun. Paint is mostly gone it reads. 105 Cal. 50 Linked A.P.I.M8 Repack D Lot L.G L90500.

Thanks

GP

US M2 50 cal ammo tin markingsUS M2 50 cal ammo tin markingsUS M2 50 cal ammo tin markingsUS M2 50 cal ammo tin markingsUS M2 50 cal ammo tin markings

?

Brilliant, thank you chaps. That site is great,one to rememeber, thank you...
    Attached further pics, looks to be manufacturer belmont, with the unsymetrical pin catch flap gadget!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US M2 50 cal ammo tin markings   US M2 50 cal ammo tin markings  

"unsymetrical pin catch flap gadget".....'getting all technical on us now are we? :-)

Anyway, surely the Army would've called it "Gadget, catch, pin, flap, unsymetrical"

You mean closing clamp with slot missing cotterpin or retention ring right��

?

thats the one, thank you gents! Haha...

Default Pin Arrangement

Here's a photo of my Ammo can with the original pin arrangement for closing the side latch.
    By the way, original rings/pins are not as easy to find as the ammo cans....