Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

US Pistol Belt 1945

Article about: G'day All I have this belt '45 dated. My question is about the weave/style, I have a few belts but this is the only one like it I've ever seen, is it a common type? Regards René

Default Re: US Pistol Belt 1945

Quote by partisan42 View Post
    Hi René,

I have seen these weaveless Model 1936 belts before, if I can remember correctly mostly late war. They are good. Belts with a webbed aluminum female buckle are all WWII. As to why they do not have the typical weave pattern I have no idea.
    Thanks Matt

René

?

Hi René,
    Yep there nothing wrong with belt at all, my guess is the factory ran out of the ribbed webbing used on 99% of WWII pistol belts, it could even be that they change supplier and that mill did not have a Dobby loom which could produce the ribbed pattern. As to the webbing used for your belt, its actually the standard Class III weave used on U.S. field gear but just in a wider width, you can tell its U.S. webbing as opposed to the British mills equivalent (same as Class I, U.S) by the ribbed or piped edge that the strap has, the reason is that the edge of the weave is platted into the main part of the strap as the webbing is woven on the loom, this gives the finished strap webbing a much higher stain weight than the British Mills or U.S. class I.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Quote by Nige H View Post
    Hi René,
    Yep there nothing wrong with belt at all, my guess is the factory ran out of the ribbed webbing used on 99% of WWII pistol belts, it could even be that they change supplier and that mill did not have a Dobby loom which could produce the ribbed pattern. As to the webbing used for your belt, its actually the standard Class III weave used on U.S. field gear but just in a wider width, you can tell its U.S. webbing as opposed to the British mills equivalent (same as Class I, U.S) by the ribbed or piped edge that the strap has, the reason is that the edge of the weave is platted into the main part of the strap as the webbing is woven on the loom, this gives the finished strap webbing a much higher stain weight than the British Mills or U.S. class I.

Nige.

G'day Nige H,

Thank you for a most detailed answer

Keep Well

René

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2