Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

USN SEABEES Wooden Box

Article about: Our most recent pickup, we stumbled on this wooden box while strolling through an antique store on our way home from Arizona this past weekend. It’s the size of a small suitcase and appears

Default USN SEABEES Wooden Box

Our most recent pickup, we stumbled on this wooden box while strolling through an antique store on our way home from Arizona this past weekend. It’s the size of a small suitcase and appears to be handmade but does not appear to be for a specific purpose. Assuming the maker was a USN SeaBee in WWII, from the decals on the front, his name clearly written – Verlin P (Paul) Hamors. Found Mr. Hamors listed on an ancestry web site indicating he was born Jan 14, 1914 and died on Oct 14, 1985, in Las Vegas. His wife passed in 2007 and lived in Bullhead City, AZ which coincidently is the town I met and married my wife as well as where we found this box. Another coincidence, Mr. Hamors is buried in Riverside, CA which is where we have lived since 1988. I’ve got his great nieces email address, if it is still good, and will try and contact her to get more information on Mr. Hamors, maybe even visit him and put some flowers on his grave.

USN SEABEES Wooden Box

USN SEABEES Wooden Box

USN SEABEES Wooden Box

USN SEABEES Wooden Box

USN SEABEES Wooden Box

USN SEABEES Wooden Box

Russ & Son

Default Re: USN SEABEES Wooden Box

Congrats! I almost bought a lot of docs and badges a while back... but this is a rare beauty!!
    [COLOR="#EE82EE"]I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.
    Marilyn Monroe[/COLOR]

Nice find!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Thanks guys, I thought it was a pretty good find as well, glad we picked it up. Now I need to dig up info on Mr. Homors, just don't have the time at the moment.

My wife's grandfather was a CB and served in the pacific during WWII. He passed several years ago and we do not have much info on his time in the military however, we have recently contacted his brother (A B-25 pilot by the way) and asked him to send us any info he has photos etc. We are hoping to hear back soon.

a brilliant find escpecially with all the info you've scrounged up with it just brilliant thanks for sharing

Just rec'ved an email from Verlin P (Paul) Hamors nephew. Was very informative and fun to read. Verlin went by the name of Paul and apparently Payl and the nephew were very close, I don't think too far apart in age. He indicated that Paul was a CM 3/c (Carpenters mate 3rd Class) and served from 1943 thru 1945.

Here is an interesting bit from the email:

"One little piece about his Seabee career. Paul claimed to have been assigned to the Normandy Invasion as a UDT "FROGMAN" but had a reputaion of stretchiing the truth at times. While in Florida, we visited the SEAL Museum, on Hutchinson Island, between Vero Beach and Fort Pierce, /the "curator" said that he has a log book with the names of EVERY Seal and Seabee assigned to UDT Teams. We scanned it carefully and could not
    locate the Name Hamors. I never revealed this to my Aunt. I would have broken her heart."

The nephew also indicated that he has photos of Paul and is going to try and dig some up to scan and send to us...that would be really cool.

Russ

?

I believe it is a hand built shipping trunk. Probably by the sailor himself.

Either way, it is a great piece and a great find.

Congrats.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I believe it is a hand built shipping trunk. Probably by the sailor himself.
    Steve, I don't think it is a shipping trunk of any type as it has no locking mech nor any type of secure closure devices. I think it more likely a personal case of some type, maybe to carry his tools of the trade in or something, he was a carpenter.

I rec'ved an email from a second relative of his this afternoon, a great niece on his side of the family. She informed me that his sister is still alive and will be able to provide me with all the information on Paul (he went by Paul) that I ask for. She is also going to get me a photo of him in is sailor uniform as well as one of him and his wife together, she says she has these herself.

More to follow as I learn more ..........

Russ

Ashley Basil
    ?

My mother found a suitcase that belonged to my grandfather who served in the World War. It has the Seabees emblem and names of cities and pictures of women. I googled it and saw your post. Really cool find! And to know that others exist.