Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very interesting webbing!

Article about: I picked up these gaiters and belt recently and thought I would post them here. All five pieces were made by Barrow, Hepburn and Gale, Limited early in the war. The dates and condition are n

?

Default Very interesting webbing!

I picked up these gaiters and belt recently and thought I would post them here. All five pieces were made by Barrow, Hepburn and Gale, Limited early in the war. The dates and condition are nice, but the ownership stamps are the really interesting part of these items, in my opinion.

I guess the gaiters were probably captured and reissued by the Germans when they were abandoned by the BEF after Dunkirk, as one pair bears the stamp of the Luftschutz, or German air protection warning service. The khaki belt, on the other hand, has an Air Ministry stamp denoting issue to the RAF. I have seen other examples of khaki Pattern 1937 webbing with AM markings, but they are always dated 1941. Perhaps it was manufactured for use in the North African Campaign?

?

Wouldn't say no to any of those, especially with those stamps on them.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

Thanks Jimpy!
    Last edited by karkee; 11-14-2014 at 05:48 AM.

That's a stamp of the Luftwaffe Schule or school it is often found in Luftshutz items nice leggings but I have never seen any LS stamped myself. timothy

?

Thanks Timothy!

I know very little about German stuff, so your help is greatly appreciated!

Interesting gaiters never seen German stamped ones before , does anyone have a photo of in use by the Germans ?

Quote by timothy View Post
    That's a stamp of the Luftwaffe Schule or school it is often found in Luftshutz items nice leggings but I have never seen any LS stamped myself. timothy
    Maybe the gaiters were part of a demonstration uniform that the Luftwaffe school would have used to educate the students on British uniforms? Just a thought as that may explain why they was stamped. Leon.

?

Personal opinion only Karkee, captured equipment either re-issued or used for demo' purposes.

I have read in the past that British/Allied gaiters at least were used by German forces, never seen anything relating to the web belt being re-issued for service though. Having said that, that doesn't mean to say that it didn't happen!

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

didn't Otto Kretschmer equipe his crew with british battle dress jackets until the item was copied for the Kriegsmarine.

Reworked British battle jackets were worn by U Boat crews obtained from captured stocks in France after Dunkirk they were the early jackets as I have seen some of the later British jackets with U boat insignia and they are not proper. There are period pictures of them so it is possible Germans used a lot of captured stuff. Just my thoughts timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast