Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam Butt Pack

Article about: Hey Vietnam Collectors and Veterans, I have a question regarding the Vietnam War Butt Packs ( for a lack of a better words ), I was wondering if it was always carried as shown in some of the

Default Vietnam Butt Pack

Hey Vietnam Collectors and Veterans,

I have a question regarding the Vietnam War Butt Packs ( for a lack of a better words ), I was wondering if it was always carried as shown in some of the pics below? Or is it always switched out with the alice pack? So is it nessisary to put on a Vietnam gear loadout?

Vietnam Loadout

So is there really a correct way?

Thanks,
    Michael

NCA
    ?

Default Re: Vietnam Butt Pack

Most of the pics ive ever seen its always worn on the back of the web belt.There is a bit of webbing that designed so the field pack could be worn on the upper back but i dont recall ever seeing it use?
    I dont think alice packs were used in 'Nam..mostly tropical, lightweight and ARVN packs.

?

A while ago I was setting up my own Vietnam gear, and what I found out was that there are some webbing straps that allowed the butt pack to be carried higher up the back. This setup would leave space on the belt for something else, or enabled the soldier to carry two but packs, one on the belt, and the other higher up above it, depending on the load he was carrying. I remember trying to set that configuration on the kit I had at the time, and it was a nightmare to get right.
    I've dug out some photos of the higher position of the buttpack.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Vietnam Butt Pack   Vietnam Butt Pack  

Vietnam Butt Pack  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks for the info guys!
    I have never seen the higher buttpack straps in use either, but I did see the alice pack carried in other photos like this one:\

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/Web-backpack.gif

Which President accomplished the most during the Vietnam War?

I have seen a lot on the internet and I am not sure what to go with?

?

Quote by Snake Master View Post
    Thanks for the info guys!
    I have never seen the higher buttpack straps in use either, but I did see the alice pack carried in other photos like this one:\

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/Web-backpack.gif

Which President accomplished the most during the Vietnam War?

I have seen a lot on the internet and I am not sure what to go with?
    I think it depended on the mission, and what was needed to be carried at that particular time.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Nice gear Andy..is the pistol a deact?I thought you mainly collected lids mate,regards Dave.

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    Nice gear Andy..is the pistol a deact?I thought you mainly collected lids mate,regards Dave.
    It's an air-soft that I borrowed for the photos mate! I wish it was a deact.
    I've got some odds and sods lying about as well as one or two helmets.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

I am almost finished myself with a loadout. I just need to get a shovel (which I am about to get). I was also wondering about gas mask. I have one with my vietnam gear and was wondering if I should take it out?

Thanks for all the help,
    Michael