Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Vietnam war era poncho?

Article about: Hey Guys - is it possible that this US poncho liner was made during the Vietnam war? The code is "DSA" (Defense Supply Agency) DSA 100 68 C 2726 (I think if it's DSA, it could be N

Most ERDL jungle jackets with the 'EGA' actually had these applied post-war

Wouldn't that be for the post ERDL '75 contracts? just asking for my own knowledge base.

Often (but not always) these were applied on an individual basis on older jackets, but it could be the RDF model ERDL jackets had them factory-applied; I'm not sure.

Here's some extra info I've scanned for you via "Grunt" by Antonio Arques Fantastic book on US Army VN bits

?

Much THX René! When you have some time (no hurry), can you look into my 1946 US overcoat thread as well? I have some questions regarding arm-patches (that were removed).

US Overcoat 1946

Cheers,
    Fabe

?

Ok Guys, eventually I won this poncho (see post #1), with shipping, it costs me 30 USD (if I convert it to dollars).
    Looks great with no holes or tears and all the strings still intact.
    This is my very first "Vietnam era" item, hopefully I'll get some other NAM stuff in the future.

Last question: did these ponchos had any carrying bags or anything? Where did the troops kept these?

Cheers,
    Fabe

Vietnam war era poncho?Vietnam war era poncho?

As the name implies, these are to line the poncho and together they form a very light-weight 'sleepingbag'. The liner is tied to the poncho with the tape strings you see in the pics. When not in use, the poncho & liner were rolled up and usually carried strapped under the buttpack or on the pack. If the poncho is to be used as a poncho you need to remove the liner, as it doesn't have a slit for the head.

did they have a type of harness webbing that attached to the back pack? this would also hold sleeping bag. i have a Vietnam era Australian one.

Usually the poncho and poncho liner if used in the field was carried loosely on top of the field pack or butt pack. In other cases when the unit was in the field for an extended patrol they were carried in the rucksack.

There was a system of OD canvas straps used called "Spaghetti Straps" which was an "H" Harness that was used when the sleeping bag and shelter half and poles were rolled up into a roll and secured with the straps. These could be attached to the bottom of rucksacks or secured to vehicles in use of carrying..

No real standardization in how the items were carried in the field. It was mostly for comfort and ease of carrying and the majority of men carried more ammo and water than the comfort items.

Your liner looks to be in great shape and will make a fine addition to a Vietnam exhibit. When in garrison or at a fire base many soldiers would place the poncho liners on their cots and bunks and use them rather than sleeping bags due to the heat..

Smitty

Vietnam war era poncho?

Here you can see the M60 gunner on the right is carrying a buttpack under his lightweight ruck, and has a rolled poncho attached to it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3