Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

War Gas Smelling Kit

Article about: Hello i am a new member and very new to collecting.I have just recently gone through some of my grandfathers items from when he was in the war and i came across a wood box with 4 vials in it

?

Default War Gas Smelling Kit

Hello i am a new member and very new to collecting.I have just recently gone through some of my grandfathers items from when he was in the war and i came across a wood box with 4 vials in it.It is labeled War Gas Smelling kit on the front and a label on the bottom saying prepared by department of munitions and supply dominion government ottawa canada by gelatin products limited. I was just curious as to the use and function of this item .......i will post pictures later today once i get my hands on a camera
    Last edited by Syrinx; 07-19-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Default Re: War Gas Smelling Kit

Hi, I used to have one of these kits in my collection however in the past while I've been selling things off and that went a long time ago The idea behind these kits was to teach civilians, anyone involved in the military and civil defence how to recognise a potential gas attack by smell. A lot was done in the ways of gas protection during the Second World War as the horrors that gas caused during the First World War was a very well known fact. I'm not too sure what the contents of the vials actually are, whether they are a small sample of the gas in liquid form or just something that smells like it.

Hopefully this helps

Thanks

Danny

Hi there,

Sounds like a gas 'Sniff Kit'. These were 4 or 5 bottles of liquid that gave off a smell of different gases that had previously been used in WW1 which were primarily designed for the teaching of civil defence/ ARP wardens.

The small bottles, or vials, contained a harmless liquid that smelt like the gas in question and bore a label that described the symptons and treatment and neutralization of each gas relevant to their respective containers.

The commonest poison gases replicated were, i think, mustard gas, phosgene gas, chloropicric gas, lewisite and tear gas.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

here are the pics of the kit
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture War Gas Smelling Kit   War Gas Smelling Kit  

War Gas Smelling Kit   War Gas Smelling Kit  

War Gas Smelling Kit  

?

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi there,

Sounds like a gas 'Sniff Kit'. These were 4 or 5 bottles of liquid that gave off a smell of different gases that had previously been used in WW1 which were primarily designed for the teaching of civil defence/ ARP wardens.

The small bottles, or vials, contained a harmless liquid that smelt like the gas in question and bore a label that described the symptons and treatment and neutralization of each gas relevant to their respective containers.

The commonest poison gases replicated were, i think, mustard gas, phosgene gas, chloropicric gas, lewisite and tear gas.

Regards, Ned.

Like the man said!

Spot on again Ned

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

?

thx for all the info guys it is very much appreciated.