Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Wartime model ship

Article about: Hello everyone, thought I would show this wartime instructional model of HMS Barham which met a dramatic end (along with most of her crew) in 1941. For those of you who havn't seen it, the s

?

I know that portrait and the story behind it. The Death of Marat! I guess my invitation was taken wrong FB.
    Peace be with you my comrade!!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

What they are is very highly crafted models-many of what were used for aircraft recognition are far more basic, reflecting the fact that the actual aircraft would only be seen at a distance or very fleetingly but obviously your collection of waterline ship models are in a much more advanced category.

Phil-well one of the old Tsarist dreadnoughts was renamed 'Marat' by the Soviets and served into WW2 so maybe she's one of F-B's models!

?

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Phil-well one of the old Tsarist dreadnoughts was renamed 'Marat' by the Soviets and served into WW2 so maybe she's one of F-B's models!
    Well I hope so Lithgow. The story behind that picture is of deceit and lies to meet and do harm. I hope that is not how I came off. As I always sign off "Semper Fidelis" is how I live my life!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Hello everyone, thought I would show this wartime instructional model of HMS Barham which met a dramatic end (along with most of her crew) in 1941. For those of you who havn't seen it, the ships final moments were caught on film and the extraordinary footage is well worth viewing. HMS Barham Explodes and Sinks, 1941 [Full Resolution] - YouTube

Considering how small this wooden model is, its beautifully made and detailed. I got it on ebay for just a few pounds. It is unnamed but having spent sometime examining contemporary pictures, it is certainly Barham rather than one of its Queen Elizabeth Class cousins due to unique details such as the placement of the aircraft catapult.

Douglas
    Nice looking model. I used to build model waterline ships and find them especially fetching.
    The footage of the 'Barham' exploding made a vivid impression on me, when first I viewed it a ways back.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Well I hope so Lithgow. The story behind that picture is of deceit and lies to meet and do harm. I hope that is not how I came off. As I always sign off "Semper Fidelis" is how I live my life!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Dear Phil, My picture was not a commentary on you, but a commentary on where I reside, it has nothing to do with you, but with my career. I am a history teacher, ergo the picture.
    Happy ships and mass politics to you all. May all your time in the bath tub be free of women with knives. FB
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 03-11-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Phil also gets an award since he knows the story of the picture. That puts him well beyond the norm.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    What they are is very highly crafted models-many of what were used for aircraft recognition are far more basic, reflecting the fact that the actual aircraft would only be seen at a distance or very fleetingly but obviously your collection of waterline ship models are in a much more advanced category.
    Thank you. Did the Royal Navy or someone produce these ship models on an industrial basis for recognition training as in the US? Is the thing on ebay one of them, or something quite different?
    Thanks.

The Japanese made such ship models, but of much higher quality and much more as the work of craftsmen and artisans, as appropriate to such society.
    The persons who made the ship models in the US on an industrial basis were mostly such craftsmen emigres from central Europe.
    Such details interest me.

Default Found some more....

I found some more of these items. Wartime model shipWartime model shipWartime model ship

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast