Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Water bottles.

Article about: Here's my related water bottles and carriers: Of the two in black felt one has a pronounced flare to the neck and blue enamel, the other later green enamel. The carrier is dated 1918. Any in

Default Water bottles.

Off topic being Home Front but some people on here seem to have an interest in Home Front and as you don't see my my latest find very often I thought it was worth showing. The second bottle I have had for a wile but you don't see its carrier that often.
    St Johns Ambulance Brigade water bottle and integral carrier, its a undated MK.V1 bottle with black felt and black leather loops sawn directly on to the felt for the carrying straps to go through, the metal used on the cork stopper is brass and so is the chain and loop attaching it to the carrying straps I don't know when it was made but with it being a MK.V1 bottle it could be anywhere between 1903 and 1939 although I am thinking between the wars. The second St Johns Ambulance Brigade water bottle shown is a standard MK.V11 bottle which was introduced in 1939 but in a M.K.11 general service carrier which was introduced In 1905.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Water bottles.   Water bottles.  

Attached Images Attached Images Water bottles.  Water bottles.  Water bottles.  Water bottles.  Water bottles. 

mpw
    ?

Default Re: Water bottles.

An interesting item, thanks for posting. Are these bottles made from glass or are they enameled tin?

Mark.

Yes, very interesting, both definitely a new one on me.

Is the Mk II Carrier an army one repurposed, or new made for the SJAB? The only difference I can see is that the shoulder web piece is dyed a darker colour.

Rob

Thanks for showing this.

My Grandad was in St John's during the war.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by mpw View Post
    An interesting item, thanks for posting. Are these bottles made from glass or are they enameled tin?

Mark.
    They are both enamelled tin they are the standard WW1 and WW11 bottles only with black felt except for stopper on the WW1 version using brass bits rather than the standard tin bits and it would be attached with string to the felt rather than a brass chain to the strap.

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    Yes, very interesting, both definitely a new one on me.

Is the Mk II Carrier an army one repurposed, or new made for the SJAB? The only difference I can see is that the shoulder web piece is dyed a darker colour.
    Rob
    Its been dyed black, Although I can't find any surviving markings It was definitely military because the Green- ish or khaki is showing through the worn arias of the webbing shoulder piece. Here are a couple of pictures from a instruction book dated 1938 you can just make out the MK11 carrier.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Water bottles.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Water bottles. 

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thanks for showing this.

My Grandad was in St John's during the war.

Cheers, Ade.
    Do you have any pictures of him in his uniform and equipment.

Hi Joseph, I do have few. See here, but nothing which shows the bottle:

My Grandad: Clp Isaac Stevenson RA 1915-1919.

I also have a couple of extra group pics not shown, but they are very similar to the other.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Joseph, I do have few. See here, but nothing which shows the bottle
    He's actually wearing the bottle in MK II carrier in both pics

Rob

Really? I never noticed! it is early.... Only had one cup of tea

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast