Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Webley holster alterations

Article about: After a little help with this one guys, it appears to be a webley holster, looks like ww1 issue to me, but it has been altered. It seems like it has had its belt loop removed and attachments

Default Webley holster alterations

After a little help with this one guys, it appears to be a webley holster, looks like ww1 issue to me, but it has been altered.
    It seems like it has had its belt loop removed and attachments added to hang it from the sam browne instead.
    Has anyone seen this done before?
    I know alot of these would have been used in civvie life post wars, but the fact that it is altered but still for use with a sam browne has me confused.

as always i welcome any comments!

Webley holster alterationsWebley holster alterationsWebley holster alterationsWebley holster alterations

CBH
    ?

I have a similar holster , I believe they were for British contract Smith & Wesson M1917 .455 . I check it's strap set up .

I think it could be modified for mounting the holster on a saddle. I've used rifle scabbards that have similar sort of strap fittings, so possibly that's the answer.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

CBH
    ?

Sorry mine tired out to be for different pistol , but it does have a similar strange strap set up Here's a couple shots of mine , I guess it's for a saddle .
    Yours does seem to have sword hangers used for straps .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Webley holster alterations   Webley holster alterations  

On the subject of straps - this may be of interest

"When swords were ordered to be abandoned in the field, many Holsters were both manufactured, or modified, to have short straps usually fitted with dog-clips."

Sam Browne Equipment

Quote by big ned View Post
    I think it could be modified for mounting the holster on a saddle. I've used rifle scabbards that have similar sort of strap fittings, so possibly that's the answer.

Regards, Ned.
    thanks ned, i hadn't thought about saddles. hmmm interesting line of investigation!

Quote by Richie B View Post
    On the subject of straps - this may be of interest

"When swords were ordered to be abandoned in the field, many Holsters were both manufactured, or modified, to have short straps usually fitted with dog-clips."

Sam Browne Equipment
    think you may have hit the nail on the head there Richie. thank you.

ILH
    ?

I've got some similar ones, can't remember if they were adapted or made like that, will dig them out and look.
    Amongst them are some with very long straps for over the shoulder - there doesn't apear to be a pattern or anything for them, but I've seen ww2 photos of them in use...... Another possibility?

ILH
    ?

Here are mine. From left to right.
    1) standard holster dated 1917.
    2) buckled belt loop and buckled shoulder strap, unmarked, hardly used, no provenance.
    3) buckled belt loop, 'D's for Sam Browne shoulder strap, no marks, believed to have belonged to an RAF pilot in WW2.
    4) belt loop removed and holes riveted, shoulder strap of cheap leather sewn on. No marks, also believed to be RAF, adaptions consistent with mid WW2 (as done to 1939 pat ammo pouches).
    5)standard rear, without fairlead (so post ww1), has swivels, also a bit smaller than pattern. I have the SB belt, shoulder strap, and buckling piece, but no frog - all marked Wilkinson, Pall Mall, and was the property of Captain G Reynolds Payne of the Gordon Highlanders during ww2 and reused by his son in the TA in the 1950/60s.

3 is the closest I have to yours and I know the shoulder strap was on it in service (same usewear).... Your frog straps aren't permanently attached so perhaps they were for hanging from SB hangers, or saddles, but they might also have been connected with a bit of bridle leather to make a shoulder strap (of course the fourth option is idiocy/ignorance!).
    I would err towards RAF use, possibly drivers also, and I'd say WW1 reissued in WW2...... But can't prove it one way or other.
    Going to look for a photo of a ww2 RAF pilot wearing one.... I know there is one somewhere!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Webley holster alterations   Webley holster alterations  

Webley holster alterations  

ILH
    ?

Couldn't find it, I think it was of Flt Lt Lord VC.
    Did find this photo, OK its canvas web not SB, but it does show a drop leg style use by a pilot in WW2. Also found a page about the RNAS who apear to have similar shoulder strapped holsters (it looks like their used whatever they could get!)
    It appears to be bomber and transport crews rather than fighter pilots.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Webley holster alterations