Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Weird stamps on US canteen

Article about: Dear fellow members, For a while now I have this aluminium US canteen from 1942, manufactured by A.G.M. Co. However, recently I discovered by accident that there are some weird stamps on it.

Default Weird stamps on US canteen

Dear fellow members,

For a while now I have this aluminium US canteen from 1942, manufactured by A.G.M. Co.

However, recently I discovered by accident that there are some weird stamps on it. In fact there are two of them.

They read: -2541

The first is a little bit fainted, only the -25 and a part of the 4 is visible. But the second one is clearly.

Do you have any idea what this stamps could mean?

Greetings,
    Bundeswehr

Weird stamps on US canteenWeird stamps on US canteenWeird stamps on US canteenWeird stamps on US canteen

?

Most likely its a laundry number. Soldiers used the first letter of their last name, and the last four numbers of their asn to mark clothing and equipment. It would look something like this, X-####. It look like there is a, - in front of the 2541, the letter may have faded away over time. Look close, you may see it. Rob.

Thanks Rob!
    That's new for me, because I thought that only the canteen covers are marked with laundry numbers.

Besides, on the cup there are scratches reading: "LIO8T" or "L108T". I have no idea what they mean, maybey the regiment?

?

some guys marked everything with their stamps . just so they could say that's mine. You know how things disappear. Gary

Hmm yeah, still funny though. Saw it never before on a canteen itself.

Thanks for the info guys!!

?

Sounds like the current Australian army practice to mark everything with the first three letters of the surname and first three of the regy number eg; ABC123.

Oz

Here's my example of a laundry mark for comparison