Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

What is this thing??

Article about: NOT the M36 musette bag! The smaller bag on the right was my old man's who served 68-72 (both of them were his, I inherited both). I included it to compare size/color. Both are definitely or

crgmks
    ?

Default What is this thing??

NOT the M36 musette bag! The smaller bag on the right was my old man's who served 68-72 (both of them were his, I inherited both). I included it to compare size/color. Both are definitely originals, not Rothco knockoffs, who while during research I have found make an exact replica of my mystery bag, calling it a musette bag. It is slightly smaller than the M36 with no internal pockets or dividers, a snap closure on the rear, and a small side pocket with a snap closure. NO markings at all. It appears to be OD7, while the M36 appears to be OD3. Also the material feels quite soft and light, not the heavy canvas of the M36. What is this thing??What is this thing??Someone please help, I have been wondering for years what the green thing is.

It is a butt bag for the Vietnam field H harness.

crgmks
    ?

It has no ALICE clip webbing attachment areas and the front flap doesn't have the grommets along the right side of it. Just the center "etool" or "machete" mount. I think it predates Vietnam, just have never seen another one in any photos or books. He was national guard, so they got all the old crap the army was trying to get rid of.

It looks like what we called a "Butt-Pack"...wish I could help more...
    Glenn

Are there U.S. markings? the only other thing I can think of is a secondary pack that would clip to a backpack of sorts.