Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What were these british snips used for?

Article about: I picked these up a while ago, they are dated 1944 and have the broad arrow stamp. So they're ww2 british snips of some kind, but can anyone tell me what these were primarily used for? In a

?

Default What were these british snips used for?

I picked these up a while ago, they are dated 1944 and have the broad arrow stamp. So they're ww2 british snips of some kind, but can anyone tell me what these were primarily used for? In a factory somewhere, or actually used in the field?? I will likely sell or trade these snips, as I stick to collecting german! I hate to ask, but are they worth anything? I'm thinking they're like a $30 item, but I would rather find out for sure before I throw them in the tool box.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What were these british snips used for?   What were these british snips used for?  

What were these british snips used for?   What were these british snips used for?  

What were these british snips used for?   What were these british snips used for?  

Wire cutters!....

?

Wire, got it. So would they have been used by the army in the field? Cutting through wire fences etc.?

Yep, field wire cutters.

?

They're WD issue so very likely used by either engineers or possibly signallers

?

Great, thanks to those who posted. I have a better understanding now.

Quote by davejb View Post
    They're WD issue so very likely used by either engineers or possibly signallers
    I thought they were yours for clipping your toenails Dave....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Quote by Rylan View Post
    Wire, got it. So would they have been used by the army in the field? Cutting through wire fences etc.?
    Yes, included in the 'etc' would be for example barbed wire.
    I imagine that could come in useful.

?

Yes agreed, very useful for barbed wire! I was a bit confused because I thought these were a bit bulky and overkill (with the fold out extended arms), to have to carry around. Being used by engineers makes more sense to me. I saw some other ones online that fold up, who was issued those? The army and paratroopers?