MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Guards officers map case

Article about: Hi all,I acquired this today not often you see a named one I'm looking forward to researching this officer,all comments welcome especially helpful ones Thanks Roger

RMR
    ?

Default WW1 Guards officers map case

Hi all,I acquired this today not often you see a named one I'm looking forward to researching this officer,all comments welcome especially helpful ones Thanks RogerWW1 Guards officers map caseWW1 Guards officers map caseWW1 Guards officers map case

?

Default Re: WW1 Guards officers map case

Nice piece of kit Roger.
    Pity the centre section's celluloid screen has gone, but for a piece that is the better part of 100 years old, thats a small price to pay mate.
    I like it and good luck with any research on it.

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

RMR
    ?

Hi Ian nice that someone else likes it, all the celluloid is complete the middlle section has a cloth cover probably to stop it sticking too the other sheets.Cheers Roger

very nice rodger it will be good fun researching the officer hopefully you will post what you learn as you go along

tom

Quote by RMR View Post
    Hi all,I acquired this today not often you see a named one I'm looking forward to researching this officer,all comments welcome especially helpful ones Thanks RogerWW1 Guards officers map caseWW1 Guards officers map caseWW1 Guards officers map case
    Very nice It must date from May 1918 or later, as that was when the Guards Machine Gun Regiment was formed. 4th (Foot Guards) Bn, was basically a reorganisation of the Machine Gun Companies for the Guards Division. So it's not only interesting as a Guards piece, but also as a Machine Gun Corps piece.

I love map cases and related equipment, for some reason

Rob

Here's the full combat listing for 4th Battalion Guards Machine Gun Regiment. Yor map case must have been in some of these actions Roger! Considering the short life of the regiment, I would imagine researching Major Cartwright may be reasonably do-able.

FIRST BATTLES OF THE SOMME
    21 to 23 March Battle of St. Quentin [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    24 and 25 March First Battle of Bapaume [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    28 March First Battle of Arras [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    THE ADVANCE TO VICTORY
    SECOND BATTLES OF THE SOMME
    21 to 23 August Battle of Albert [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    SECOND BATTLES OF ARRAS
    26 to 30 August Battle of the Scarpe [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    02 and 03 September Battle of the Drocourt-Queant Line [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    BATTLES OF THE HINDERBURG LINE
    12 September Battle of Havrincourt [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    27 September Battle of the Canal du Nord [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    08 and 09 October Battle of Cambrai [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    09 to 12 October Pursuit to the Selle [VI. Corps, Third Army]
    THE FINAL ADVANCE IN PICARDY
    17 to 22 October Battle of the Selle [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    04 November Battle of the Sambre [VI. Corps, Third Army].
    09 November Occupation of Mauberge.
    On the 11th November the Guards Division was in and around Mauberge. On the 17th November, the 4th Guards Brigade rejoined the Division. Ordered to the Rhine, the Guards Division began its march on the 18th November, and crossed the frontier into Germany on the 11th December. On the 14th December the 2nd Guards Brigade was sent on by train to Cologne and detrained there on the same day. Divisional H.Q. opened at Cologne on the 18th December, and the remainder of the Guards Division reached its final area on the 19th. Battalions began to return to England on the 20th February, 1919, and the moves of the last units of the division were completed by the 19th April, 1919.

This unit was disbanded on 30 April 1920, with personnel being transferred to various Guards Battalions.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

RMR
    ?

Thanks Rob and Ned for this most useful information, Ned my regards to Codsal I'm from Cannock originaly.Roger